Last Updated on
Poha Vada (flattened rice fritters ) is a quick and easy snack or appetizer, ready in under 20 minutes.
Serve these tasty vada with mint chutney or tamarind chutney. These fritters are also great with a cup of masala chai.
Traditionally Vada is made with lentil, onion and spices. The popular vada varieties are chana dal masala vada, green moong dal vada and toor dal vada. Vada is a very popular festival recipe and a street food snack.
Today’s recipe is a quick version of the vada, where we replace lentil with poha. We soak the poha for five minutes, drain the excess water and add all the other ingredients and deep fry them. An easy snack recipe which can be made under 20 minutes.
Its a great snack recipe to make when you have last minute guests.
These poha Vada are
- Crispy on the outside and soft inside
- Made under 20 minutes and
- A Perfect evening snack
Ingredients for Poha Vada
Poha (also called as aval, atukulu or avalakki )
Corn starch or All purpose flour (maida)
Fresh coriander and mint leaves
Can I substitute any ingredient:
Corn starch helps in binding the vada, so the vada doesn’t fall apart while frying. You can replace corn starch with all purpose flour or chick pea flour ( besan).
Green chily can be substituted with plain red chilly powder.
Mint leaves give a beautiful aroma and freshness to the vada. If not available, you can skip it. But do add the coriander leaves.
How to make Poha Vada Recipe ( Step by Step Photos):
1) Wash the poha twice with water. Now soak the poha in the water for 3 minutes.
2) Drain the water and gently squeeze out the excess moisture from the poha. Set a side for five minutes. That five minutes resting time will help poha become soft.
3) While the poha is getting soft, prep rest of the ingredients by finely chopping the onion, green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
4) Now take the poha and gently press it to make it soft. Add all the prepped ingredients, corn starch and salt. Mix well and quickly check for seasoning, adjust accordingly. You may need to sprinkle little water if the mixture is too dry or add more corn starch if the mixture is too wet.
5) Wash your hands and heat the oil for deep frying.
6) While the oil is getting hot, slightly wet your hands with water and take a small portion of the dough and flatten it slightly by smoothing the edges.
7) You should get about 12 vada’s from this recipe.
8) Deep fry the vada in medium flame until light brown.
9) Tastes best when hot and crispy.
Serving Suggestions: Serve these tasty poha vada with mint chutney or date chutney. They can also be served with tomato ketchup or peanut chutney Masala Chai is also a great combo with the vada.
To make the vada healthy-
- Air fry the vada
- You can also pan fry the vada with little oil on both sides.
- One heaping cup, Poha (flattened rice/aval/atukulu)
- Corn starch or all purpose flour - 3 tsps or more, depends on how moist the poha is
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilly, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger grated
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the poha twice with water.
- Now add some water and soak the poha for 3 minutes.
- Drain the water and squeeze out excess moisture from the poha and set a side for five minutes. That five minute resting time will help poha become soft.
- Prep the ingredients by finely chopping the onion, green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Now take the poha and gently press it to make it soft.
- Add all the above ingredients, corn starch and salt. Mix well and quickly check for seasoning and adjust.
- You may need to sprinkle little water or add more corn starch to mould them into vada.
- Wash your hands and heat oil for deep frying the vada.
- While the oil is getting hot, wet your hands with water and take a small portion of the dough and flatten it slightly by smoothing the edges.
- Deep fry the vada in medium flame until light brown.
- Serve the crispy and delicious vada with chutney of your choice.
More Instant Snack Recipes