Pongal cutlets – a tasty snack made with pongal. Its a great way of using up the left over pongal from morning. Try these cutlets as a evening snack and enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
Serve these pongal cutlets with green and tamarind chutney. Kids as well as adults will love these cutlets and will be surprised to know that these were made with left over pongal.
One of the best breakfasts of a South Indian house hold is Pongal. It tastes best when eaten hot. But when it sits for few hours, pongal tends to become hard. This is one of the best ways to use up left over pongal.
Growing up my mom used the leftover pongal to make these cutlets as a after school snack.
Its a very simple recipe which takes hardly few minutes to make.
If you are looking for Pongal recipes, try my Masala Pongal with vegetables. Its a complete meal by itself.
Also have you ever tried a dry version of a Pongal, its a great lunch box recipe.
If you are looking for more snack recipes, try my
Rice bonda with left over rice
Punugulu with left over Idli/Dosa batter
Madhu’s Everyday Indian is on YouTube. Please do check out my new Youtube channel where I share simple, healthy short videos.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
Pongal cutlets | leftover Pongal Patties
- 3 cups of left over pongal
- 2 to 3 tbsps of Rice flour
- 2 green chili , finely chopped
- ¼ tsp of grated ginger
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- small onion, finely chopped
- few coriander leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
To coat the cutlets-
- 1.5 tbsps rice flour
- 1 tbsp rave/suji/semolina
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp red chilly powder optional
To coat the cutlets-
- In a plate combine the rice flour, rava, black pepper and salt. Mix well and set a side.
To make the pongal cutlets-
- In a medium bowl add the left over pongal , rice flour, chopped green chillies, onion and coriander leaves. Add the grated ginger, coriander powder , lemon juice and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients. If the mixture is too sticky add little more rice flour ( not too much).
- Make medium size patties with it.Now dust both sides of the patties with the rice flour and rava mixture.
- Heat up a pan, add some oil and shallow fry the cutlets on both sides.
- Cook the cutlets in low-medium flame. That ensures even cooking with out burning the outer part.
- Flip the cutlet, add little more oil and cook till lightly crisp on the outide.
- Serve the cutlets with a combination of green and tamarind chutney.
- Tastes best when eaten hot.
Good snack from leftover pongal… I shall surely try this when i make pongal next time. thanks for the lovely snack.
superb idea…i dont prefer pongal much, maybe next time i make it for others, i will make these patties for myself..thanks for sharing
very clever..cool idea in usuing leftover….sounds yumm
thats a good idea. it looks like cutlet..can this one made with rava upma/kichidi?
Great idea! I bet they taste delicious!:))
Hey that is what i call beeing clever. Not to mention no waste
Lovely idea…..hope to try it out the next time i make pongal.
I once made patties with left-over risotto, which IMO, is Italian pongal.