potato sandwich recipe – learn how to make tasty grilled potato sandwich made with a spicy potato and veggie filling. Add some grated cheese and kids will love it.
Can be eaten for breakfast, as a evening snack or give for kids lunch box.
Coming to the recipe its a Potato Sandwich with the addition of green bell pepper, green peas and corn to it. Its relatively a healthy sandwich which kids would love gobbling it up with some ketchup. Its a great lunch box recipe as well.
- Few Bread slices ( I used wheat bread)
- Potato fry
- Grated cheese (optional) and
- Some oil
For the Potato fry-
- Medium White potato ( or any kind)- 4 or 2 Russel potato
- Green bell pepper- 1 chopped
- Green peas- 3/4th cup ( I used frozen)
- Corn – 1/4th cup ( I used frozen)
- Medium onion – 1 chopped
- Green chilly- 4 finely chopped or to taste
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Few coriander leaves for garnish
Tempering ingredients –
- 4 tsps of oil
- 1 tsp of chana dal
- ½ tsp of urad dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ th tsp of turmeric powder
- A pinch of hing.
Making the Potato Fry:
Boil potato till fork tender and keep on the side.
Take a pan add 4 tsps of oil. When the oil gets hot add a tsp of mustard seeds. When the mustard starts popping add a tsp of chana dal, 1/2 tsp each of urad dal and cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds.
Add the green chilly and curry leaves. Then add the chopped onion, turmeric and some salt. Cook for about five minutes till onion gets soft.
Add the bell pepper, corn and green peas. Mix and close the lid. Cook for few more minutes till all the veggies get soft.
Add the cooked cubed potato with the skin on. Slightly mash with back of the spoon. Finally add the lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt. Cook for another five minutes and turn off the heat.
Making the Sandwich:
- If using a Sandwich maker- Take two bread slices, put some cheese on one of the bread piece, then spread some potato fry add bit more cheese and top it off with another bread slice. Apply some oil on both sides of the bread and put it in the Sandwich maker. It will be done in two minutes or so.
- Making the Sandwich on a stove top – Apply some oil on the pan, place the assembled bread and put a heavy pan/skillet on top of the bread. The heavy skillet helps the potato, cheese and bread to stick together. Cook for a minute, flip to the other side and repeat.
Serve the Potato Sandwich with Ketchup. If packing for lunch box- Cool the Sandwich a bit and then wrap it in an aluminum foil. That way the sandwich doesn’t get soggy.