Rajma masala, a popular red kidney bean curry from northern India (punjab).
Its popularly called as rajma chawal, which means red kidney beans curry and rice. It is one of the comforting dishes you will ever make.
Dishes made with legumes like red kidney beans, chick peas, black chana or black eyed peas are delicious and provide excellent source of protein.
Rajma masala is such a filling and comforting curry which can be enjoyed any time of the year. Especially good on a cold winter day.
What makes this rajma masala restaurant style?
The most common way of making rajma doesnot have cream and butter in them. Both these ingredients add richness and make this dish more tastier.
Can I use canned beans?
Yes you can use canned kidney beans in this recipe. Strain the water it comes in and wash before using it in the curry.
Can I freeze rajma curry?
You can freeze it for up to a month. Defrost or refrigerate for few hours and re heat in the microwave or in a pan, stirring often. Add some fresh coriander and squeeze some lemon juice before serving.
Few Curry recipes – Edamame curry // instant pot paneer butter masala // mushroom peas curry // bell pepper curry video
Rajma Masala ( restaurant style)
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans or 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp kasoori methi
- 2 tbsp cream Or malai
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- lemon juice to taste
soaking and cooking rajma-
- Wash the dry red kidney beans and soak them in the water over night or atleast 6-8 hours.
- It’s important to soak the beans for atleast 6 hours to get a creamy rajma curry.
- The next morning drain the water from the rajma and rinse again.
- Add water one inch above the rajma and add half tea spoon of salt.
- Pressure cook the rajma till soft, but still holding its shape. The cooking time really depends on your pressure cooker, water and quality of rajma.
- I cooked in medium heat for 3 to 4 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.Drain the rajma in a colander and save the water.
- making the rajama masala –
- In a pan melt the butter and oil. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes till onion gets soft and lite brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in the chopped tomato and cook till mushy.
- Now add the spices- turmeric, coriander powder, red chilly powder, ½ tsp of garam masala and salt. minutes. Cook for five minutes. This is the key step in making a tasty rajma. Do not burn, cook on low-medium flame. The masala should realease the oil on the sides.
- Add the cooked rajma and 1 ½ to 2 cups of rajma water to the masala mixture.
- Mix well and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the curry for 15 minutes till it thickens slightly.
- You can also mash few beans from the back of the spoon to get little thick curry.
- Adjust the amount of water depending on how thick or thin you like the curry. Remember rajma thickens further on cooling. Ideally you want the curry to be little watery when done.
- Finally add ¼ tsp garam masala, kasoori methi, cream and coriander leaves. Mix and cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Serve rajma with rice, chapathi or paratha. Makes for a comforting meal any time of the year.
Delicious recipe. Easy instructions. I’m not a great cook but these turned out pretty yummy! Thank you
So glad you enjoyed the Rajma Tej. Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Nutritious and very delicious rajma masala, love it with rice and rotis..
Finger licking good rajma curry, looks fabulous. Very well done..
Perfect recipe dear
Delicious masala, love it with rice.
looks yummy …nice click.
yummy rajma… 🙂