Rice Cereal Chivda is a healthy take on the Popular deep fried Chivda recipe.
Serve this chivda with masala chai for your evening snack.
What is Chivda?
Chivda is a tea time snack popular in India. Made with thin flattened rice ( poha), spices, peanuts and sev.
I have replaced poha with rice cereal. If you are looking for a variation from the regular chivda recipe, you must definitely try this.
Spices and curry leaves are sautéed in oil and mixed with rice cereal and peanuts. They are tossed till the rice cereal is coated with all the spices and becomes crisp.
Crispy, slightly sweet and delicious snack to munch as is or with a cup of coffee or tea.
Check out my other evening snacks
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below.
Rice Cereal Chivda:
(Makes 6 cups) Ingredients:
- Rice Cereal- 6 cups
- Peanuts- ½ cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp or to taste
- Asafetida (Hing)- a generous pinch
- Curryleaves – 10 -12 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder- ¼th tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add in the peanuts and roast them in low to medium flame until crisp. Remove and set a side.
- In the same pan, add the oil. When the oil gets hot add in the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop.
- Now reduce the heat to low, add in the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Sautee for few seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilly powder, asafetida and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the rice cereal and peanuts. Gently mix till the rice cereal is coated with all the spice mixture.
- Turn off the heat. Cool completely and store the chivda in a air tight container