Rice Cereal Chivda is a healthy take on the Popular deep fried Chivda recipe. Rice cereal is tossed with mild spice mix and is topped off with some toasted peanuts. Crispy, slightly sweet and delicious snack to munch as is or with a cup of coffee or tea. Hands down, a tasty and satisfying snack recipe. Serve this chivda with masala chai for your evening snack.
check out my other evening snacks
Rice Cereal Chivda:
- Rice Cereal- 6 cups
- Peanuts- 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Asafetida (Hing)- a generous pinch
- Curryleaves – 10 -12 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add in the peanuts and roast them in low to medium flame until crisp. Remove and set a side.
- In the same pan, add the oil. When the oil gets hot add in the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop.
- Now reduce the heat to low, add in the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Sautee for few seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilly powder, asafetida and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the rice cereal and peanuts. Gently mix till the rice cereal is coated with all the spice mixture.
- Turn off the heat. Cool completely and store the chivda in a air tight container.