Rice Kheer recipe is a delicious Indian rice pudding made with rice, sugar, milk,and flavored with saffron and cardamom. Rice Kheer is traditional Indian dessert made during festivals ( during diwali) and weddings. In today’s recipe, I used both sugar and condensed milk for sweetness. The condensed milk gives a nice richness and creaminess to the kheer. You can use both or either sugar or condensed milk in the recipe. The addition of crushed almonds and pistachio gives the much needed crunch to this creamy kheer. The powdered cardamom and saffron gives a floral fragrance to the rice kheer .
The consistency of the kheer can be very thin or thick. Its completely a personal choice. I like slightly thicker kheer. You may serve the kheer warm or cold. Either way it tastes equally delicious.
Each region in Indian has its own name for the rice kheer. Paal payasam, payasa, payesh,, fereni are some of the different names for the rice kheer.In the north the rice kheer is popularly called as chawal ki kheer. In south India, payasam is the first food given to the infant during the annaprasana (first rice eating celebration). In addition to the rice kheer, the kheer’s made of vermicelli, dals and tapioca are equally popular.
For a low fat version, replace whole milk with the low fat milk. And replace sugar with jaggery.
To make it vegan, replace the milk with coconut milk and skip the condensed milk.
Please check out my you tube channel Madhu’s Everyday Indian for the video recipe of the rice kheer and other short videos from the blog.
Come other payasam recipes from the blog-
Rice kheer recipe with video-
Rice Kheer | Chawal Kheer | Indian rice pudding
Basmati rice – ¼ cup
- Whole milk – 4 cups
- Sugar – 2- 3 tbsp
- Sweetend Condensed milk- 3-4 tbsp
- Saffron – 4 threads
- Chopped nuts -2 tbsp (almonds & pistachio)
- Raisins (kismis) – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom pics – 2 ( crushed)
- Add the basmati rice in a bowl. Wash the rice thoroughly and soak the rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Pour the milk in a thick bottom pan. Bring the milk to a boil.
- Drain the soaked rice and add the rice to the milk. In a low-medium flame, cook the rice uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in between and check periodically and don’t let the milk boil over.Check to see if the rice is cooked properly.
- You will see that the milk and rice mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the sugar, saffron and condensed milk. Cook for another ten minutes. Check for seasoning.
- Add the chopped nuts, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix and cook for couple more minutes.
- Serve the Kheer at room temperature or chilled.
Short of time, try Rice Kheer made in Instant Pot