Last Updated on
Ridge gourd Dal Recipe:
- Ridge gourd / Beerakaya – 1 1/2 cups cubed
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Small onion -1
- Large Tomato- 1
- Green chilly – 3
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil- 2 tsps.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
- Dry red chilly – 1
- Few curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind pulp to taste
- Coriander leaved for garnish
- Pressure cook the moong dal till soft. Set a side.
- In a skillet add oil. When the oil gets hot add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the mustard pops add the red chilly, ginger, curry leaves, green chilly. Sautee for few seconds.
- Add the onion and sautee for two minutes.
- Put the ridge gourd and salt. Sautee till soft.
- Add the tomato and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the cooked moong dal, tamarind pulp,salt and some water to get the desired consistency of the dal. Simmer the dal for few more minutes.
- Finally add the coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Serve the dal with roti or rice.