Ridge gourd Dal Recipe:
- Ridge gourd / Beerakaya – 1 ½ cups cubed
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Small onion -1
- Large Tomato- 1
- Green chilly – 3
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil- 2 tsps.
- Turmeric powder – ¼th tsp
- Dry red chilly – 1
- Few curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind pulp to taste
- Coriander leaved for garnish
- Pressure cook the moong dal till soft. Set a side.
- In a skillet add oil. When the oil gets hot add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the mustard pops add the red chilly, ginger, curry leaves, green chilly. Sautee for few seconds.
- Add the onion and sautee for two minutes.
- Put the ridge gourd and salt. Sautee till soft.
- Add the tomato and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the cooked moong dal, tamarind pulp,salt and some water to get the desired consistency of the dal. Simmer the dal for few more minutes.
- Finally add the coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
Serve the dal with roti or rice.
Among all Indian veg curry recipes I love Dal. Especially Mango dal, ridge gourd dal. We will call it as birakaya pappu. This is best combination for roti, rice. Really watering in my mouth after seeing this. Thanks for sharing. Best platform to learn for those who are trying to learn how to cook south Indian recipes.
haven’t tried ridge gourd this way or with dal…sounds delicious..looks inviting!
My comforting food, pappu with anything is my favourite.
Healthy curry…looks delicious…
That is something i want to have now…yummy
Healthy and delicious dal.. Looks inviting.
simple and yummy dal
Wow.. Awesome clicks and a healthy yummy recipe 🙂