semolina and wheat flour halwa or suji aur aate ka sheera is a tasty, melt in the mouth halwa made with semolina and wheat.
It is a popular halwa made in North India, often called as suji aur aate ka halwa. A simple dish that can be made in a jiffy.
Suji is the Indian name for Semolina and whole wheat flour is called Aata in Hindi. Hence the name suji aur aate ka halwa.
The method of making this halwa is very similar to suji ka halwa except for the addition of wheat (aata). Suji (semolina/rava), whole wheat flour, ghee, sugar, cardamom and dry fruits are used to make this melt in the mouth, moist halwa.
The addition of crunchy nuts and the subtle scent and flavor of cardamom, is a combination to die for.
What is Halwa (halva)-
Halwa is a sweet pudding made in different parts of the world. Each region has its own variations and ,method of making the halwa.
In India, halwa is probably the go to sweet, very easy to make and a favorite among kids and adults.
Halwa is called Sheera in some parts of India. Suji aur aate ka sheera is quite popular in North India and is often made for festivals as prasad, gatherings or any occasions.
In India, halwa is made with semolina, wheat flour, carrot (gaja), poppy seeds, sesame seeds, channa dal, dudhi and carrot.
Among all the above ingredients, the most popular halwa recipe is made with semolina (or suji). In my blog I have shared three different methods of making suji ka halwa.
3 different methods of suji ka halwa-
Few more halwa recipes from my blog–
semolina and wheat flour halwa or suji aur aate ka sheera recipe –
SUJI WHEAT HALWA | SUJI AATE KA SHEERA RECIPE
- ¾ cup rava/sooji/semolina
- ¼ cup wheat flour( aata)
- ¾ cup sugar-¾ cup
- ½ cup ghee
- 2 tbsp cashew( halved or whole)
- 2 tbsp almonds (chopped/sliced)
- 2.5 cups water
- ¾ tsp crushed cardamom
- Heat one teaspoon of ghee (clarified butter) in a pan.
- Add the cashew and almonds and fry until light brown. Remove and set a side.
Remove and set a side.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan.
- Add rava and wheat flour to the ghee.
- Mix well and roast the rava and wheat flour in low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes. It should slightly change color.
- Add sugar to the roasted rava mixture. Mix well.
- Now slowly add the 2.5 cups of water to the rava mixture. Stir until no lumps are to be found.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and toasted nuts.
- Serve the sheera warm.
Few other sweet recipes you might be interested