This is a simple okra fry with minimal spices. I make few different versions of Okra fry. In this particular recipes garlic, onion and red chilly accompany Okra.
Okra can be off putting because of its gooey texture. Try these simple tips to get rid of the slimy texture.
Tips to get rid of the slimy tecture from Okra:
1. After you wash the okra, take a clean kitchen towel and pat the okra completely dry.
2.After you cut the okra let them sit on the counter top for good twenty minutes. This helps to further dry the okra.
3. While cooking try to add the salt only in the end.
- Okra- about 25
- Medium onion-1 chopped
- Garlic cloves- 3 slicked thin
- Red chilly powder to taste
- Salt and lemon juice to taste
- Few curry leaves
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish and
- Tempering ingredients – ½ tsp each of mustard & cumin seeds, 1 tsp of chana dal and 4 tsps of oil.
Pick the tender okra’s from the market. Wash and let dry completely. Trim the stem ends and cut to ¼th inch round circles. Let the cut okra sit on the counter top and dry for atleat 20 minutes.
Take a non stick pan, add 4 tsps of oil. When the oil gets hot add ½ tsp of mustard seeds. When the mustard starts dancing around add a tsp of Chana dal and ½ tsp of cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds.
Add the curry leaves,chopped onion, garlic, a pinch of turmeric and hing.Fry for five minutes.
Add the okra,mix and reduce the heat. Cook the okra on a open flame till soft.
Finally add the red chilly powder, salt, lemon juice and fresh coriander leaves. Let it cook for another five minutes.
Turn off the heat.
Serve the okra fry with some hot rice.
Sending this to Vardhini for New ‘U” 2013 event.