Last Updated on
- Tindora ( Dondakaya / Tondekai)- about 30
- Large Onion- 1 chopped small
- Small carrot -1 grated
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/4 th tsp
- Cumin powder – little less than 1/4 th tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Oil- 3 tsp
- Chana dal- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/ tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- A pinch of hing
- Wash the tindora, cut the edges, slit lengthwise and then cut to small pieces.
- Now take a wide skillet ( I use a non stick pan) add the oil, followed by mustard seeds, Chana dal and cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds. Then add the curry leaves and onion. Fry for five minutes.
- Add the cut tindora, salt and turmeric powder. Close the lid and cook in a low flame stirring in between.
- When the tindora is almost cooked, add the coriander,cumin and red chilly powder, grated carrot and tiny bit of sugar. Cook for ten more minutes in a low flame.
- At the end of the cooking the tindora should be absolutely dry and glossy.
- Adjust the salt and finally add the lemon juice.
Serve the tindora masala fry with hot brown/white rice or chapathi or oats palak paratha.
Check out my another recipe – Tindora Masala fry