- Snake gourd ( potlakaya in telugu)- 2 cups (cut to small pieces)
- Medium onion- 1
- Tomato- 2
- Toor dal (Kandi pappu) – 1/4th cup
- Green chille- 3
- Ginger- 1/4th inch ( cut to small pieces)
- Lemon juice and Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Cook the toor dal in some water till soft but not mushy.
Now take a skillet and add the oil. Do the tempering by adding mustard seeds, chana dal and cumin seeds ( 1/2 tsp each). Now add a pinch hing (asafatedia), green chille and ginger. Fry for few seconds. Now add the onion, a bit of turmeric powder and some salt. Cook for five minutes and now add the Snake gourd. Mix and cover the lid.
Cook till the gourd becomes soft ( mixing in between). Now add the chopped tomato. Cook for five more minutes. Then add the cooked toor dal with the water. Mix and check the seasoning. If you need to add more water go ahead and add it at this point.
Let it simmer for another ten minutes. Once done add lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with hot rice!