Last Updated on
Kosambari is a very popular salad from the state of Karnataka. Kosambari is generally made with soaked dal, sprouted green moong dal or vegetables.
Today In addition to the sprouted green moong dal, I have also used cooked barley. The addition of barley makes this salad a complete meal by itself. Because of the addition of cucumbers, this salad needs to be eaten immediately after you make it. The high water content in the cucumber makes the salad soggy if left for longer time. If you are planning to make ahead, just prep all the veggies and mix right before you serve. Another option is to skip the cucumber in the salad.
Hope you try and enjoy this refreshing salad.
Here are few more salad/kosambari recipes frm my blog-
Sprouted green moong dal and barley kosambari video recipe-
Sprouted green moong dal and barley kosambari detailed recipe-
- Sprouted Green Moong dal – 1 cup ( see below on how to sprout the green moong dal)
- cooked barley- ½ cup
- chopped cucumber - ⅓ cup
- grated carrot – 2 tbsp
- grated cauliflower- 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves- 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Tempering ingredients:
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chana dal – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Finely chopped Green chilly – ½ tsp
- A pinch of Asafatedia
- To Sprout:
- Soak the moong dal in enough water for 8-10 hours. Drain the water completely. Put the dal in a container, close it and leave it in a dark place. Let stand for 1½ day to 2 days. Sprouts are ready to be used.
- In a bowl, Combine the sprouted Moong dal, barley, cucumber, carrot, cauliflower and coriander leaves.
- Do the tempering by heating the oil. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.Add the chana dal, cumin seeds, green chilly, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Moong dal mixture. Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Mix and serve immediately..