Cooked and pan fried bitter gourd is stuffed with roasted chana dal powder, coconut and chilly powder. Its a classic Andhra dish.Serve the stuffed bitter gourd ( gutti kakarkaya or stuffed karela) with rice and ghee.
Serve the stuffed karela with white rice, brown rice or millets.
More recipes to serve with rice –
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
stuffed bitter gourd video recipe-
STUFFED BITTER GOURD | GUTTI KAKARKAYA ANDHRA STYLE | STUFFED KARELA RECIPE
Cooked and pan fried bitter gourd is stuffed with roasted chana dal powder, coconut and chilly powder. Its a classic andhra dish.Serve the stuffed bitter gourd ( gutti kakarkaya or stuffed karela) with rice and ghee.Print Pin Rate
- Bitter gourd(Karela/Kakarkayi)- 6
- Medium sized onion-1 (finely chopped)
- roasted chana dal powder (dalia) – ¾ cup
- grated dry coconut – ½ cup
- red chilly powder- ½ tsp
- coriander powder -½ tsp
- turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- little tamarind
- salt to taste
- oil few teaspoons
Cooking and pan frying the bitter gourd-
- In a pressure cook place the cleaned bitter gourd, turmeric powder, tamarind and half teaspoon salt. Add just enough water and pressure cook them for four whistles.
- Drain the cooked bitter gourd, gently squeeze to remove the excess moisture.
- In a pan add 2 table spoon of oil and shallow fry the karela till light brown. It may take up to ten minutes. Remove the pan fried karela and sprinkle some salt and red chilly powder. Set a side.
Making the stuffing –
- In a mixer grind the dalia, dry coconut and red chilly powder to powder.
- In a pan, add two teaspoons of oil. when the oil gets hot add the cumin seeds and the chopped onion. Cook until soft. Add the ground mixture, coriander powder, salt to taste and about quarter cup of water. Mix well and cook on low flame for five minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Slit the bitter gourd in the middle and when the mixture is warm enough to handle, take a small portion of it and stuff the bitter gourd.
- Serve the stuffed bitter gourd with rice, ghee, pickle and rasam.
Tried this Recipe? Pin it for Later!Mention @MadhusEverydayIndian or tag #MadhusEverydayIndian!
This is one healthy veg to have, but I dont like. I should try to make something like this and try and have it considering its health benefits. Made it very well.
Thats a new one to me. Will try for the family