Last Updated on
Cooked and pan fried bitter gourd is stuffed with roasted chana dal powder, coconut and chilly powder. Its a classic Andhra dish.Serve the stuffed bitter gourd ( gutti kakarkaya or stuffed karela) with rice and ghee.
More recipes to serve with rice –
STUFFED BITTER GOURD | GUTTI KAKARKAYA ANDHRA STYLE | STUFFED KARELA RECIPE
- Bitter gourd(Karela/Kakarkayi)- 6
- Medium sized onion-1 (finely chopped)
- roasted chana dal powder (dalia) – ¾ cup
- grated dry coconut – ½ cup
- red chilly powder- ½ tsp
- coriander powder -1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- little tamarind
- salt to taste
- oil few teaspoons
Cooking and pan frying the bitter gourd-
- In a pressure cook place the cleaned bitter gourd, turmeric powder, tamarind and half teaspoon salt. Add just enough water and pressure cook them for four whistles.
- Drain the cooked bitter gourd, gently squeeze to remove the excess moisture.
- In a pan add 2 table spoon of oil and shallow fry the karela till light brown. It may take up to ten minutes. Remove the pan fried karela and sprinkle some salt and red chilly powder. Set a side.
Making the stuffing –
- In a mixer grind the dalia, dry coconut and red chilly powder to powder.
- In a pan, add two teaspoons of oil. when the oil gets hot add the cumin seeds and the chopped onion. Cook until soft. Add the ground mixture, coriander powder, salt to taste and about quarter cup of water. Mix well and cook on low flame for five minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Slit the bitter gourd in the middle and when the mixture is warm enough to handle, take a small portion of it and stuff the bitter gourd.
- Serve the stuffed bitter gourd with rice, ghee, pickle and rasam.