Sweet and spicy tofu recipe with detailed instructions and video–
Sliced Tofu is Pan fried and tossed with sweet and spicy chili sauce and garnished with some green onion. Slighty crunchy on the outside and soft texture inside when combined with the spicy sauce makes for a finger licking dish. Sweet and spicy tofu can be served as a appetizer or as a side dish with the main course. If serving as a side, serve with lo mein, fried rice and some asian curry’s.
Sweet and spicy tofu tastes best when eaten right away. But if you’re planning to make it a head, just warm it up a bit. If you feel the tofu has gotten little dry, sprinkle some water while reheating.
Please do check out my new youtube cooking channel where i share simple, healthy short videos- Madhu’s Everyday Indian
Few things to keep in mind before making the sweet and spicy tofu recipe —
Pick the tofu which is extra firm. Soft tofu will not work for this recipe, it might just fall a apart. Soft tofu works best for tofu scramble and dessert recipes.Remove the excess moisture of the tofu, by pressing out all the water. you can either use some paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Tofu can be pretty bland, .Add enough seasoning while sauteing the tofu.When properly seasoned Tofu can transform into a tasty dish.
The key to making the perfect sweet and spicy tofu is in the sauce. Asian cuisine has some wonderful dipping sauces. The one i am sharing today is my all time favorite. It is salty, spicy and slightly sweet. This sauce can also be served as a dip, just omit the garlic while serving as a dip.
This sweet and spicy tofu reminds me of the Indo Chinese recipes, which are quite popular in India. This similar recipe can also be made with paneer. We also have chili paneer which is a great appetizer dish.
Few other asian inspired dishes form my site-
Sweet and spicy tofu recipe with video-
sweet and spicy tofu with detailed instructions-
SWEET & SPICY TOFU
- Sriracha or any Chili sauce- 1 to 2 tsp
- Soy Sauce – 5 tsp ( use tamari, for gluten free)
- Sesame oil – ½ tsp
- Rice vinegar- 1 tsp
- Crushed garlic- ½ tsp
- Brown sugar – 1.5 tsp ( can be replace by sugar or honey)
To Pan Fry –
- Extra firm tofu – 10 ounce ( 280 gms)
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Green onion- 1 tbsp
- Salt – one or two pinches ( soy sauce is very salty)
Mixing the Sauce-
- Make the sauce by combining the sriracha or chili sauce,soy sauce ( or tamari), crushed garlic, vinegar, sesame oil and brown sugar. Combine well and taste it. It should be salty, sweet and spicy.
Removing the excess moisture from Tofu –
- Wrap the tofu between few paper towels or kitchen towel and press gently to remove the excess moisture. Set a side for few minutes.
- After 10 minutes, cut the Tofu to one inch slices.
Pan Frying the Tofu-
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the tofu slices and cook on both sides until golden brown.
- Add little salt (not too much) and mix.
- Add the sweet and spicy sauce and combine well. Cook on the low flame for 2 to 3 minutes Turn off the heat and garnish with some green onion.
- Serve the sweet and spicy tofu as an appetizer or a side dish with some noodles, fried rice or Chinese stir fry.