Sweet Corn vada recipe – crispy and tasty deep fried snack made with sweet corn ,onion, rice flour and spices. Enjoy the sweet corn vada with a cup of chai or coffee.
Vada (fritters) is a common snack recipe made in South India. Its popularly made with chana dal and is called masala vada.
In today’s recipe I am using corn to make the vada. You can use either sweet corn or regular corn. Corn is coarsely ground and mixed with onion, chili, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves. Rice flour is added to bind the mixture together. The corn mixture is deep fried until golden brown.
Enjoy these crispy and tasty corn vada as a evening snack with a cup of masala tea or coffee. You can also enjoy the corn vada as a starter or finger food.
Serve these vada with sweet and spicy chili sauce.
You can replace the rice flour with chana dal in the recipes. If you have time soak the chana dal in water for an hour and coarsely grind it and use in the recipe. Its a popular andhra style vada recipe.
In Andhra we call corn as mokkajonna and mokkajjonna vadalu is a popular snack recipe.
Recipes with corn are quite popular with children, and they seem to like it in any form. Have you tried the Indo Chinese sweet corn soup and the corn chaat. These are simple and delicious recipes you must try.
If you are looking for some vada recipes, please do check out my
Here is a picture of all the ingredients which are needed to make the sweet corn masala vada-
Sweet Corn Vada Recipe –
- 1 cup sweet corn
- rice flour – ⅓ cup
- onion- 1. medium, finely chopped
- green chili- 1
- red chily powder – ½ tsp
- ginger – ½ inch, grated
- garlic- 1 pod, grated
- spring onion- 1 tbsp, chopped (optional)
- coriander leaves – 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Coarsely grind the corn and green chili in a mixer or food processor.
- Trasnsfer the corn mixture ina wide bowl.
- Add the rice flour, finely chopped onion, red chilly powder, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves and spring onion.
- Add the salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and try to make a ball. If the mixture is falling apart add some more rice flour.
- But if the mixture is dry, sprinkle some water.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet to fry the vada.
- While the oil gets hot, take a golf ball size of the mixture and slightly flatten them between your palms. Repeat the same with the rest of the mixture.
- To check if the oil is at the right temperature, drop little bit of the batter in the oil. if it instantly comes up, the oil is hot enough to fry.
- Drop 3-4 of the patties in oil carefully. Fry on medium heat on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve hot vadas with chili sauce .
Few more quick and easy snack recipes