Tindora Masala Fry is a favorite at home. I pan fry the tindora with onion. This way of cooking caramelizes the vegetable. Then I spice it up with garlic, onion, coconut, coriander leaves, garam masala and red chilly powder. The sweet flavor of onion and tindora with all the spices works beautifully. A very simple recipe, but definitely big in flavors.
Tindora ( Dondakaya / Thondekai)- about 25 to 30
Large Onion- 1 chopped small
Medium Garlic cloves- 3
Dry/fresh grated coconut- 2 tbsps
Two handfuls of fresh coriander leaves
Garam masala- ½ tsp
Red chilly powder to taste
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste and
Oil- 3 tsps
Chana dal- 1 tsp
Urad dal- 1/ tsp
Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Turmeric powder- ¼th tsp
A pinch of hing
- Wash the tindora, cut the edges, slit lengthwise and then cut to small pieces. Cutting tindora does test your patience, but its worth the end result.
- Now take a wide skillet ( I use a non stick pan)add the oil, followed by mustard seeds, Chana dal and cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds. Then add the curry leaves and onion. Fry for five minutes.
- Add the cut tindora, salt and turmeric powder. Add splashes of water in between and close the lid and cook in a low flame stirring often so. You can also cook the tindora in microwave to cut short the total amount of cooking.
- While the tindora is cooking, take a mortar add the garlic cloves, coconut and coriander leaves and Grind them.
- When the tindora is almost cooked, add the ground mixture, garam masala, red chilly powder and tiny bit of sugar. Cook for aother ten minutes in a low flame.
- At the end of the cooking tindora should be no moisture or wetness to the vegetable.
- Adjust the salt and finally add the lemon juice.
Serve the tindora masala fry with hot brown/white rice or chapathi or oats palak paratha.
Tip: If you want to fasten the cooking process, cook the tindora in microwave for few minutes. Then finish the rest of the cooking on the stove top.
Check out few more dry curry’s:
- Okra/ Bendakaya/ Bendekayi Fry
- Potato Bell Pepper Green Peas Fry
- Bitter Gourd / Kakarkaya/ Karela Fry