Last Updated on
Tofu Curry, creamy Indian style tofu curry made with onion tomato masala, spices and cashew cream.
Easy to make and a tasty way to enjoy this protein packed tofu.
This Tofu Curry
- is ready in 30 minutes
- delicious and flavorful.
- a tasty way of enjoying the bland tofu.
- serve with naan or rice of your choice.
More Curries –
Indian Tofu Curry recipe –
Indian Tofu Curry
- medium onion- 1 thinly sliced
- ripe tomato- 2 chopped
- ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- tomato paste – 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp oil (divided)
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
- coriander leaves to garnish
to marinate tofu-
- 200 gms extra from tofu 7 oz
- 1/4 tsp chilly powder or black pepper
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder or cayenne I used kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 tsp garam masala or to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
to make cashew cream-
- about 10 whole cashew
- 1/2 cup hot water
cooking the tofu-
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper towel or a kitchen towel. To remoce excess moisture from the tofu, wrap them with a towel and place a pan and leave it on the side for 15 minutes. This helps to remove the moisture.
- Cut the tofu to bite sized cubes.
- Toss them with corn flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a pan and fry the tofu until golden on both sides. Toss often to avoid sticking. Set a side till the gravy for the curry is ready.
to make cashew cream –
- Soak cashew in hot water for ten minutes.
- Puree the cashew and water until smooth.
making tofu curry –
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook till soft, about five minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomato and cook till mushy.
- Now add the tomato paste and all the spices- turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Cook for five minutes or till oil slightly oozes out.
- Add the cashew cream and a cup of water. Bring it to boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Add the fried tofu and gently toss. Cook for two minutes and turn off the heat.
- Finally add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with naan or rice.
More Tofu Recipes