Last Updated on
Tofu no Butter Masala, pan fried tofu cooked in a onion tomato cashew based curry and spices. Perfect vegan meal to enjoy with any flat bread or rice.
Tofu no butter masala, is my healthy take on the popular Indian curry paneer butter masala. Paneer is the Indian cheese, I replaced the paneer with tofu and skipped the butter and the cream in the curry.
North Indian curry’s are popular for their creamy base, we get that from cashew cream. Making cashew cream is very easy at home, just soak cashew in warm water for 15 minutes and blend it until smooth.
- Extra firm Tofu- 10 oz/280 gms (Cut to cube size pieces)
- Green bell pepper- 1 thinly sliced (for that extra dose of veggies)
- Medium onion- 1 thinly sliced
- Red juicy tomato- 2 chopped
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Tomato paste – 1 tsp
- Bay leaf -2
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Powdered Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- A generous pinch of Kasoori methi
- Cashew cream- 1/2 cup
- Water for the gravy ( about 1 to 1.5 cups)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsps ( 1 tbsps to fry tofu & 2 tbsps for the curry)
- Sugar – 1/4th tsp (optional)