Last Updated on
tomato masala rice recipe with video and detailed instructions – tomato masala rice is a quick and fast rice recipe which can be made in less than 30 minutes. Its a great lunch box recipe. tomato masala rice is made of pureed tomatoes, garam masala, mint and coriander powder. tomato masala rice can be eaten as a complete meal along with a side of cucumber raita and some boiled eggs.
Please do check out my new youtube cooking channel where i share simple, healthy short videos- Madhu’s Everyday Indian
tomato masala rice recipe with detailed instructions and video – tomato rice is a very popular rice dish from India and there are quite few variatons in making the tomato rice. In today’s recipe i have used pureed tomato which are cooked in onion, green chilly, ginger garlic paste, garam masala and mint. The spicy masala onion-tomato mixture is coated with the cooked rice. Its a great lunch and dinner recipe. You can use any kind of rice, but basamati rice does add some nice texture to the rice.
tomato masala rice is a great lunch box recipe. you can also make the tomato gravy the previous night and just cook the rice in the morning and mix. makes for a fast and easy recipe for the busy week days.
you can also substitute garam masala with pulav masala. I have also added quarter tea spoon of sugar towards the end of the recipe. Sometimes tomatoes can be acidic, adding tiny amount of sugar balances the taste. If you do not prefer sugar, you can completely skip it.
tomato masala rice can also be served when you have guest over. its a one pot dish serve with any of the curries give below.Please do take a look at my other rice recipes from my blog- vegetable pulav , mushroom coconut pulav , sprouted green moong dal khichdi,
tomato masala rice can be served with raita. Here are few more sides you can serve the rice with-
tomato masala rice recipe with video-
tomato masala rice recipe with detailed instructions–
TOMATO MASALA RICE | HOW TO MAKE QUICK TOMATO MASALA RICE WITH VIDEO| LUNCH BOX TOMATO RICE RECIPE
- cooked rice – 3 cups
- very ripe tomato-4, pureed
- medium onion-1, sliced
- green peas – ¼ cup ( boiled or frozen thawed)
- green chilly-1. slit
- ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- garam masala ( or pulav masala ) – 1 tsp
- coriander powder- ¾ tsp
- chilly powder- ¾ tsp
- turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- chopped mint- ¼ cup
- chopped coriander leaves- 1/4 cup
chopped coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
- salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- sugar- ¼ tsp (optional),use if the tomato is too acidic
- Pour oil in a large pan. add the cumin seeds and the green chili. saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook till the onion becomes slightly soft.
- Add the turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste. saute for a minute.
- Add the pureed tomato and mix well. Cook uncovered for about 12-15 minutes.
- The tomato mixture needs to become thick.
- Add the green peas, garam masala, coriander powder, chilly powder, salt, mint and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and cook for five minutes.
- Add sugar is desired and mix.
- Add the rice, stir thoroughly till the rice is completely quoted with onion tomato mixture.Serve with some raita.