Tomato Paste Rasam – a simple and easy rasam recipe you will ever make. This is the South Indian version of tomato soup, made with tomato paste.
Spicy, tangy and loaded with tomato flavor, this rasam will sure please your palate. Pair tomato rasam with plain rice and papad.
The key to making a good tomato rasam is the ripe tomato. But today I have used tomato paste to make the rasam.
There are days when I am short of time or too lazy to cook elaborate meals, on such days this tomato paste rasam is my go to recipe. This rasam can also be enjoyed as a soup with croutons.
Do you know rasam is lite on your palatee and helps with digestion.
Few dry vegetable dishes you can serve the rasam –
Cabbage Fry , Broccoli Moong dal Stir Fry, Okra Fry, Tindora Masala Fry , Dry Brinjal Masala and Tindora Carrot Fry
How to make tomato paste rasam –
Mix tomato paste in the water and mix well till all the tomato paste is mixed in the water.
In a pot do the tadka by heating oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add the curry leaves, red chilly, cumin seeds and hing. Fry for few seconds.
Add the tomato mixture to the tempering.
Now add the rasam powder, salt, jaggery and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook the rasam for 12 to 15 minutes in medium flame.
Adjust the water depending on how thin or thick you like the rasam.
Taste the rasam and adjust the seasoning. Finally add some lemon juice and chopped cilantro leaves.
Frequently Asked Questions-
If tomato paste is not available, use pureed ripe tomato.
Serve the rasam with rice, any vegetable fry, pickle and papad. You can also serve the rasam with some eggs or omelette and spicy peanuts on the side.
Sambar & Dal recipes-
If you tried this Tomato Rasam, do share your feedback in the comment section below. For more recipes, follow me on Facebook, and Instagram.
Tomato Paste Rasam
- ¾ cup tomato paste, 6 oz can
- 2 to 3 tsps rasam powder or to taste
- ½ to ¾ tsp sugar or jaggery
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 4 cups water adjust the amount of water depending on thick you like the rasam
- 1 tsp lemon juice
for Tadka (tempering)
- 2 tsps oil
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafotedia, hing
- 1 dry red chilly
- 1 spring curry leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
How to make tomato rasam-
- Add the tomato paste to the water and whisk untill well combined.
- In a pot do the tempering by heating the oil. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard pops, add the cumin seeds, red chilly, curry leaves and hing. Fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and water mixture to the tempering.
- add in the rasam powder, salt, turmeric powder and sugar.
- Boil the rasam in medium heat for 12- 15 minutes and check for seasoning and adjust.
- Finally add a tea spoon of lemon juice and chopped coriander and turn off the stove.
- Serve the rasam with hot white rice.
A nice weekday dinner recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I’m not really from Banglore as I have been in Aust for the last 20 years but used to be there when we were then. And the funny thing is my Andhra (really Rayalseema) hubby’s family all live in B’lore now! 🙂 So I have a mix of andhra and karnataka influences. But it will be good to learn more authentic Karnataka recipes so I think I’ll be visiting here too! 🙂