Vankaya Pachadi is a instant Andhra style Egg Plant chutney. This pachadi is served with rice and a dollop of ghee.
Instant Pachadi are very common in Andhra. We often make it with vegetables and dals. This pachadi is made with long brinjal, onion, green chili and coconut. A tempering of mustard, garlic and curry leaves enhances the taste of the pachadi.
More Pachadi Recipes –
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below.
Eggplant Chutney | Vankaya Pachadi
- 2 long brinjal, cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 green chili, slit
- 1.5 tbsp grated coconut
- tamarind to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 garlic pods, roughly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
- 2 sliced garlic pods
- To a pan heat oil and add the diced egg plant and sprinkle some salt . Cook till its ¾ th done..
- Now add the onion, garlic, green chili, turmeric and little salt. Cook till onion gets little soft (but still has some crunch)
- Turn off the stove, add the coconut and little tamarind to taste.
- Once the egg plant cools, transfer it to a mixer jar. Pulse it few times to get slightly coarse texture, don't make a paste. Taste and add some salt if required.
- To a small pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pops add the urad dal and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the cumin seeds, curry leaves and garlic. Cook for 30-45 seconds and add the hing. Turn off the stove.
- Add the tempering to the pachadi and enjoy with hot rice and ghee.