- Brinjal/ Egg plant / Vankaya – cubed 2 cups
- Small onion- 1
- Green chilly -5
- Grated Coconut- 1 to 2 tbsps
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 2 pinches
- Asafatedia- a generous pinch
- Few curry leaves
- Thick Tamarind pulp to taste
- Oil- 3 tbsps
- Sat to taste
- Chop the brinjal to quarter inch pieces.
- Chop the onion and slit the green chilly.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsps of oil and add the onion and the green chilly. Sauté for five minutes. Now add the brinjal pieces, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and close the lid.
- Cook till soft, stirring every now and then.
- Once the brinjal is cooked add the counted the tamarind pulp. Mix and cook just for about a minute. Turn off the heat.
- When the brinjal mixture is cooled, transfer it to a mixer and grind it to a coarse paste. Remove and set a side.
- For the tempering heat a tbsp of oil in a pan. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Now add the cumin seeds ,Chana dal, and curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Finally add the asafatedia and turn off the heat.
- Add the hot tempering to the pachadi. Mix and check for the seasoning. If you feel it’s not sour enough, you can add some lemon juice..
- Serve the vankaya pachadi with Chapathi, dosa, idli or rice.
Check out my other pachadi recipes here-
Check out my Andhra recipes here