Last Updated on
Ven pongal dry recipe with detailed instructions- Ven pongal or Khara Pongal is a popular south indian breakfast recipe. The pongal is made with rice and moong dal. The consistency of the pongal is generally soft and mushy. Its best eaten piping hot. Today i have made the dry version of the pongal. I have reduced the amount of water, so its not mushy and can be easily packed for lunch box.
How about making a dry pongal with equal quantity of rice to moong dal. Its a one pot meal, realtively healthy meal and a great lunch box recipe. I add some lemon juice at the end of the cooking process which gives a nice taste to the pongal. Kids in general do not require any side with it. But if you plan to give a side you can accompany the pongal with Masala Tomato curry, Potato Kurma, Peanut tomato chutney or Carrot Capsicum pachadi (chutney)
Please do check out my new youtube cooking channel where i share simple, healthy short videos- Madhu’s Everyday Indian
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Whole pepper corns- about 10 and crushed pepper corns – about 4
- lightly crushed Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Chopped Ginger- 1 inch
- Cashew nuts- about 8
- Few curry leaves
- Grated coconut- 1 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Oil- 3 tsps
- Hing – 2 pinches
- Water- about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- Wash the rice, drain the water and keep on the side.
- Take a pressure cooker add the oil. When it gets hot add the cashew, cumin seed and black pepper. Fry for few seconds.
- Now add the curry leaves, ginger, coconut and hing. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the moong dal and mix. Fry for few seconds.
- Now add the rice. and necessary salt.
- Add water, mix and close the lid.
- Cook on a medium heat up to three vissels. Turn off the heat.
- When the pressure goes down, open the lid add the lemon juice and mix. Check for seasoning.
- Dry pongal is now ready to be served.
- Each pressure cooker is different so please do adjust the cooking time and water accordingly.