virgin pina colada recipe with step by step pictures and video-virgin pina colada is a non-alcoholic beverage made of pineapple, coconut milk and ice cubes. It’s a refreshing, creamy and a tasty mock tail enjoyed by both kids and adults.
Pina colada is a very popular cocktail originated from Puerto rico and its also the official drink there. It’s usually made with rum, pineapple and coconut milk. In the virgin pina colada, we skip the rum and just use the pineapple and coconut milk. The virgin pina colada is just as delicious as the original one.
Cubes of pineapple,thick coconut milk and ice are blended together till smooth and frothy. Depending on how sweet the pineapple is, you may need to add little sugar. Finally garnish the pina colada with a pineapple slice and enjoy. It’s a very simple dish, but big on taste. Enjoy this virgin pina colada on a hot summer day and you will feel like you are in some tropical island.
Tropical Island reminds me of our visit to Cancun and how much I enjoyed drinking this virgin pina colada. This drink truly is the king of non-alcoholic beverages.
Coming back to the recipe, use fresh pineapple over the canned ones. The drink tastes better with the fresh pineapple. But make sure you clean and cut the pineapple properly. If not, you will end up with a bitter tasting pina colada. Though fresh coconut milk is great, even canned coconut milk works. Shake the can, before using. Do add atleast half cup of ice, ice makes the pina colada frothy and keeps it cold for long time.
virgin Pina colada recipe video –
virgin pina colada recipe chart-
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped (or canned pineapple)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water (optional), add water if you dont like your drink too thick
- sugar- 2 teaspoons or to taste
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- chop the fresh pineppale, just make sure you cut and discard the core properly.
- in a blender add the pineapple pieces, sugar, coconut milk, water (if using) and ice cubes.
- close the lid and pulse few times till smooth and frothy.
- serve immediately with a garnish of pineapple slice or marschino cherry.
virgin pina colada, step by step recipe chart-
- Add the chopped pineapple pieces into a blender.
- Add the sugar to the blender. The amount of sugar depends on how sweet the pineapple is. You can also skip the sugar if you dont like the mocktail too sweet.
- Add the coconut milk and some water. water is completely optional. Add little water if you prefer not so thick drink.
- Add the ice cubes.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and frothy.
- Serve the virgin pina colada garnished with a pineapple slice.