Last Updated on
Ugadi / Gudi Padwa / Yugadi marks the beginning of a New Year in few state of India. To celebrate this festival i am going to share with you a recipe which uses some simple basic ingredients that we have in our pantry. It’s Aate ka Halwa- A simple, easy and a super quick recipe. No fancy ingredients, just whole wheat flour, sugar and ghee go into making this great tasting halwa. Its one of those recipes where simplicity at its best.
Generally equal amount of flour to ghee go into making this halwa. When you use this proportion you will get a nice brown, rich and a glossy halwa. I have reduced the ghee amount quite a bit. So the color and shine is not as i mentioned, but the flavors were still there.
- Whole wheat flour/ Atta- 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 3/4th cup
- Ghee/Clarified butter- 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pods- 2 crushed
- Few cashews and slivered almonds
- In a pot add the water and bring to a slight boil. Turn off the heat.
- In a non stick pan add the ghee and melt it.
- Add the wheat flour to the melted ghee.. Mix the ghee and flour. Cook in low to medium flame till the flour gets a nice brown color and aroma to it.
- Once you reach this stage, add the sugar and the boiling water to the flour mixture. Quickly work and mix continuously till everything is well incorporated.
- At this point the halwa will start oozing out the ghee and will not stick to the pan.
- Add the crushed cardamom, cashews and almonds.
- Combine and turn off the heat.