Last Updated on
Tomatillo is a good source of vitamin C. I make a dal with tomatillo. Moong dal (which is milder) combined with chillies, coconut, onion and the sour tomatillo goes well together. Once the whole thing is cooked you find the texture of the dal very creamy. Goes great with chapathi and rice.
- Small Tomatillo: about 6 (addjust acc to how much sourness you can take)
- Moong dal: 3/4 cup
- Small onion: 1, chopped
- two big handfuls of spinach
- Green chillies: 3 to 4
- Dry/fresh coconut- 2 tbsps ( optional)
- Oil- 2 tsps
- Few mustard seeds
- Cumin(jeera)- ½ tsp
- Few curry leaves
- And few pinches of asafetida (hing)
- Cook the moong dal till soft. Keep it on the side.
- Do the tempering: In a vessel add oil and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the jeera, curry leaves and chopped green chillies. Fry for few seconds then add the onion and asafetida and cook till onion becomes little soft. Then add the cubed tomatillo and salt and cook till tomatillo becomes soft. Then add the chopped spinach and coconut.
- Cook for a minute and to this add the cooked moong dal . Add some salt and a quarter cup of water. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for good ten minutes till everything is well incorporated. Turn off the heat.
Let stand for few minutes, and serve with chapathi or rice.