A simple South Indian breakfast made with poha or flattened rice. Healthy, easy and delicious upma which can be made in under 20 minutes.
Poha upma is one of the most common breakfast recipes in India. One of the many reasons for its popularity is, it is very easy to make and quite delicious to eat.
Poha upma is called Aval upma in Tamilnadu, Atukula upma in Andhra and Avalakki upma in Karnataka.
The method of making poha upma is very similar to lemon rice except for adding onions in the. But you can add veggies like potato, carrot, peas and beans.
The upma recipe I am sharing today also has red bell pepper, green peas and peanuts.
Poha upma is a perfect breakfast, lunch or snack recipe to enjoy year long.
What is Poha ?
Rice is parboiled and flattened to thin or thick , light dry flakes. This flattened rice can be cooked very quickly and upma is one of the popular recipes.
What kind of Poha to use for poha upma?
Poha comes in two different varities- thin and thick. The thick variety is the one we will be using to make poha upma.
What are the different names of poha?
Poha is called aval in tamilnadu and kerala, atukulu in Telugu states, avalakki in karnataka, pohay in gujarat.
Poha Upma recipe chart-
Poha Upma | Avial Upma | Atukula Upma
- 2 cups poha thick variety
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilly sliced
- small bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup green peas cooked or frozen
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped optional
- 1 tbsp grated coconut optional
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- lemon juice or tamarind water- 2 tsps or to taste
- few finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts
washing and soaking aval or poha-
- Wash the poha twice with water and drain it off. Now add more water and soak the poha for two minutes.
- After two drain off the water in a colander. And let it rest for ten minutes, this will help the poha to become soft and plump up in size. The poha should not be mushy.
- While the poha is resting, lets do the tempering.
making poha upma-
- In a pan heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard starts poping add the chana dal and peanuts.
- Fry till golden and then add cumin, green chilly, ginger( if using) and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, turmeric powder and pinch of salt and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and green peas and cook till soft.
- Now add the poha, salt, coconut and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for five minutes.
- Finally add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix the poha, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the poha upma with mango pickle and masala chai to complete your breakfast.