Last Updated on
Oats Sweet Pongal Recipe:
- Oats – 1 cup
- Moong dal (pesara pappu)- 1/2 cup
- Jaggery- about 1 1/4th cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 tsps
- Water- 3 to 4 cups
- Cardamom pods – 3 crushed
- Ghee – 4 tsps
- In a pan heat half teaspoon of ghee and roast the moong dal in low flame for five minutes.
- Pressure cook the moong dal in a cup of water for two whistles. Make sure the dal is completely cooked but still holding its shape.
- In a pan add a tsp of ghee and roast the cashews, almonds and raisins. cashews and almonds need to get light golden brown and raisins should plump up. Remove and keep on a side.
- In the same pan add half teaspoon of ghee and roast the oats till the raw smell goes away. Remove and set a side.
- In the same pan add 2.5 cups of water and jaggery. Keep in low flame and melt the jiggery completely.
- Now add the oats and cook for five to seven minutes. Add the ,grated coconut, cooked moong dal and cardamom powder. Mix and let the whole mixture simmer for ten minutes in a low flame.
- Finally add the roasted almonds, cashews and raisins and rest of the ghee. Mix and turn off the heat.
- Serve the sweet pongal as Neivedyam and enjoy it with your loved once.
- Sweet pongal tastes best when eaten hot.
- If you feel the sweet pongal is thicker in consistency, add little more boiled water to it.
- If you feel he pongal is not sweet enough, you can add some grated jaggery or sugar at the end. That should work.
- Add more ghee for a richer pongal.