Andhra pradesh, my home state is very popular for eating hot and spicy food. Coming to pickles, the most populous one’s are aavakaaya (mango pickle) and gongura pachadi (red sorrel leaves chutney). In Andhra, we make lot of instant pickles which are supposed to be consumed in two to three days. These types of pachadi’s can be made either with vegetables, greens or dal’s.
- Gongura leaves- about 4 cups
- a handfull of peanuts
- dry red chilles- 5
- tamarind juice – 1tsp (adjust depending upon how tangy the gongura is)
- onion- ¼th
- oil- 1tsp
- mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- chanadal, urad dal, cumin seeds- ¼th tsp each
- few curry leaves
- dry red chille-1
- pinch of hing
In a pan put the oil, once hot add the mustard. Once the mustard starts to dance, add the other ingredients and fry till light brown.
- In a pan put a teaspoon of oil and fry the peanuts till light brown. Remove and keep it on the side. In the same pan add the dry chille and fry. Remove, now add two teaspoons of oil and the gongura leaves with little bit of salt. cook in low heat till gongura becomes soft. Let cool.
- In a mixer grind the peanuts and red chille coarsely. Now add the gongura, some salt, tamarind juice and very little water. Grind till its smooth. Now add some chopped onion and grind it just one more time. You should still be able to see some chunks of onion.
- Finally add the tempering and enjoy the pachadi with hot rice and some ghee.