Punugulu aka Punukulu is a deep fried dish made from left over Dosa batter. Its a very popular evening snack in Coastal Andhra. Its a great way of using up the left over Dosa batter.
This is a deep fried snack, which can be enjoyed with some Hot coffee or tea. If you are looking for a healthier version of this snack, try making Gunta Pongananlu with it. I have already blogged Gunta Ponganalu recipe.
- Left over Dosa/Idli batter – 2 cups
- Rice flour – 4 tsps ( or adjust acc to how thick your dosa batter is)
- Chopped Green chilly- 4 or red chillypowder to taste
- Grated carrot – 2 tsps (optional)
- Chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- Medium chopped onion-1
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Few coriander and curry leaves chopped
- Salt to taste and
- Oil for deep frying
Make sure the batter is slightly thick in consistency.
Now heat oil for deep frying. When the oil gets hot, drop in spoonfuls of the batter. Do not over crowd the pan.
If the oil is in the right temperature, soon the punukulu will float to the top.
Fry on both sides in medium heat till golden brown.
Enjoy as is or with some chutney of your choice.