Tindora Carrot masala fry is a dry curry which has coconut, coarinder , garam masala, garlic and red chilly powder in it. Its a good side dish for rice.
Check out my Tindora chutney/ Dondaka pachadi here
Check out few more dry curry’s here-
another version tindora stir fry
Tindora Carrot Masala Fry Recipe:
- Tindora ( Dondakaya / Thondekai)- about 20
- Large carrot- 1
- Large Onion- 1 chopped small
- Medium Garlic cloves- 3
- Dry/fresh grated coconut- 3 tbsps
- Two handfuls of fresh coriander leaves
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4th tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
Oil- 3 tsps
Chana dal- 1 tsp
Urad dal- 1/ tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
A pinch of hing
- Wash the tindora, cut the edges, slit lengthwise and then cut to small pieces.
- Peel and cut the carrot to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet ( I use a non stick pan). Add the mustard seeds, Chana dal and cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds. Then add the curry leaves and onion. Fry for five minutes.
- Add the cut tindora, carrot, salt and turmeric powder. Add splashes of water in between and close the lid and cook in a low flame stirring often so.
- While the tindora is cooking, take a mortar add the garlic cloves, coconut and coriander leaves and Grind them.
- When the tindora is almost cooked, add the ground mixture, garam masala, red chilly powder and tiny bit of sugar. Cook for aother ten minutes in a low flame.
- At the end of the cooking process, tindora carrot mixture should be dry.
- Add lemon juice and check for the seasoning.
- Serve with rice.