Last Updated on
This home made Vegetarian Chili recipe is hearty, delicious, spicy vegetarian stew made with beans, vegetables, spices and some basic pantry ingredients.
A warm bowl of delicious chili is all you need to enjoy on a cold winter day. It is also a great protein dish for all the vegetarians. Make it vegan by skipping the toppings like cheese and sour cream.
Chili is a hearty stew generally made with meat, veggies and spices. This is a vegetarian version of the popular chili recipe. The meat is replaced by three different kind of beans. Generally dry beans are soaked overnight and cooked in the chili. This version takes more time, but the tastes amazing.
You can soak the beans over night and cook them in the chili, but a quick version and equally tasty is using the canned beans in the recipe. Just rinse and drain the beans before using them. When the beans are cooked with the vegetable broth, veggies, cumin, jalapeno and other spices they taste amazing, and the process of making this chili is much faster.
For the vegan version of the vegetarian chili skip the sour cream and substitute the regular cheese with vegan cheese.
Ingredients needed to make Vegetarian Chili –
- Three varieties of beans like Black beans, Kidney beans and Garbanzo beans
- Vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, corn, tomato and celery
- Onion & garlic
- Jalapeno Peppers ( adjust according to your taste)
- Diced Tomato (from can)
- Chili Powder
- Vegetable Stock or Water (use stock for more flavor)
- Vegetable Oil
- Toppings like Sour Cream, Grated Cheese and Spring Onions
What other beans can I use in the chili?
Pinto beans can also be used in the chili.
How long can I keep vegetarian chili?
Place the chili in an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze the chili?
Chili can be frozen in air tight container or freezer bag for upto 2 months provided the temperature insoe the freezer is zero F.
How to make chili more flavorful?
Saute the onion, garlic till soft and add the spices to the oil and toast them to bring the flavor out.
More Soup & Beans recipes from the blog –
- Large onion-1 chopped
- Bell peppers – 2 chopped ( I used one red and one green pepper)
- Celery stalks- 2 chopped
- Medium zuccini – 1
- Jalapeño peppers – 2 or to taste
- Garlic cloves -2 minced
- Corn kernels – 1 cup
- Black beans- 1 cup rinsed and drained
- Kidney beans- 1 cup rinsed and drained
- Garbanzo beans- 1 cup rinsed and drained
- Diced tomato – 1, 15 oz can
- Large tomato- 2, chopped
- Cumin powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder to taste
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsps
- Vegetable stock or water- 2 to 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Spring onions
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot.. Add onion, celery, jalapeño peppers and garlic. Sauté till soft.
- Add in the bell peppers, corn, zucchini and mushroom. Cook for five to seven minutes till soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin powder, chilli powder and salt. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add the canned tomato, chopped tomato, beans and vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check for seasoning and add accordingly.
- Serve the Vegetarian chili topped with grated cheese, spring onion and sour cream.