Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce (with step by step pictures and video recipe)- easy, delicious and probably the most common pasta dishes made. This pasta dish with tangy tomato sauce is packed with vegetables, black beans, cheese and herbs.kid and adult friendly meal, ready in under 30 minutes. Great dinner recipe for a busy week day and the left overs can be packed for lunch next day.
little info about Pasta-
Pasta originated from the Italain cuisine is their staple food. Pasta is made with durum wheat flour and is available both fresh and dried. Though the fried pasta are commercially produced and easily available. If you have some diet restrictions, gluten free pasta( made of corn and rice) is an option. Whole wheat pasta is also a wonderful substitute for the regular pasta. Its nutty and hardy in texture. Cooking time may be little longer if you are using the whole wheat pasta.
Pasta is available in different shapes and sizes. In today’s recipe I have used cellantani pasta. It’s curly and slightly longer in shape. This is one of my kids favorite pasta to eat. Cellantani pasta, which is little thick goes well with a tomatoe base sauce. They hold the sauce better. Some other pasta shapes which go well with the tomato sauce are penne, rotini, rigatoni, ziti and campanelle.
Kid friendly, Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce-
Dishes made with pasta are favorite among kids. Kids love to gobble up pasta with creamy tomato sauce. Pasta with white sauce is also a favorite among kids. No wonder pasta dishes are the go to recipes for kids birthday parties, picnics or any gathering.
pasta is also popular in salads and soups. If you are looking for a salad recipe, please do try my orzo pasta salad with the Mediterranean flavors. And here is a link for a quick video of the Mediterranean Orzo Salad.
Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce is a quick weeknight dinner recipe. It comes together in under 30 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, prep the veggies and cook them. Add the cooked pasta to sauteed veggie and tomato sauce and the dinner is ready.
Few notes before making the dish–
- I have used green beans, carrot and broccoli in the recipe. Some other good substitutes are bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom and egg plant.
- Black beans add some protein to the dish. You can also use kidney beans or cannelloni beans. Add them only towards the end of the recipe. If not the beans can get mushy.
- I have used a combination of mixed cheeses. Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese works great too.
- Italian seasoning, red chilly flakes and black pepper add so much flavor to the recipe. If possible do not skip them.
- I used store bought tomato sauce, but if you prefer home made, by all means use it. It will be so much tastier with home made sauce.
- Fresh basil or parsely is a nice addition to the pasta.
If you are looking for more pasta recipes, please do try my
Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce video recipe-
Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce recipe chart-
- 3 cups of cooked pasta
- 1.5 cups Tomato sauce
- 1 cup green beans
- ½ cups carrots
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ¼ cup black beans, cooked
- ¼ cup cheese or to taste
- ½ tsp red chilly flaskes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic pods
- salt to taste
- Cooking the Pasta-
- In a large pot bring the water to boil. add pasta and salt. Cook stirring often until al dente. Typically it takes about 9 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Let cool completely.
- You may want to save ¼ cup of cooked pasta water. If your tomato sauce gets too thick, add little of the cooked pasta.
- Cooking the veggies and simmering the sauce-
- In a skillet heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and sauté for two minutes. Add the garlic, green beans, and carrots. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broccoli and salt, And cook for couple more minutes.
- Add the crushed red chilly flakes, black pepper and Italian seasoning.Mix well .
- Add the tomato sauce and sugar. Simmer the sauce for five minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and simmer for five minutes.
- Finally add in the black beans and cheese. Combine well and cook for another five minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve with extra cheese.
Pasta with vegetables in tomato sauce with step by step pics-
In a skillet heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and sauté for two minutes.
Add the garlic, green beans, and carrots. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the broccoli and salt, And cook for couple more minutes.
Add the crushed red chilly flakes, black pepper and Italian seasoning.Mix well .
Add the tomato sauce and sugar.
Simmer the veggies and the tomato sauce for five minutes.
Add the cooked pasta to the veggie tomato mixture.
cook the pasta for five minutes.
Finally add in the black beans and cheese. Combine well and cook for another five minutes.
Adjust the seasoning and serve with extra cheese.