Last Updated on
Traditional breakfast from South India, Pongal is made with rice, moong dal and spices. Healthy and comforting pongal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Masala Pongal Recipe:
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal ( Pesara Pappu) – 3/4th cup
- chopped onion – 1/4th cup
- Bell pepper (Capsicum)- 1 ( I used red bell pepper)
- Crushed black pepper corns – about 1/4 th to 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
- Slit Green chilly – 3 to 4
- Chopped Ginger- 1 inch
- Cashew nuts- about 8
- Few curry leaves
- Grated coconut- 2 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Oil- 2 tbsps
- Hing – 2 pinches
- Water- 2 1/2 cups + 1 1/2 cups
- Wash the rice and dal. Add 2/12 cups of water and pressure cook till soft. Don’t make it mushy. Wait till the pressure comes down.
- Do the seasoning by heating the oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the cumin seeds, chopped ginger, green chilly, curry leaves, black pepper, turmeric powder cashews and hing. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and bell pepper and 1/4 th tsp of salt. Sautee till onion is soft.
- Add the coriander powder and coconut. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of water and necessary salt and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the cooked moong dal and rice mixture. Stir gently and cooke till everything comes together.
- Finally add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. and check for seasoning.
- Masala Pongal is ready and can be served as is or with some pickle on the side.Note:
- Depending on the kind of rice and pressure cooker you use the amount of water required to cook the rice may defer.
- Make sure you use a small onion, if not the onion will over power the pongal.