Sweet Corn Vegetable Soup is a healthy, comforting and mildly spiced soup with full of flavor. This easy one pot soup loaded with veggies is a perfect dish to enjoy on a cold winter night.
Sharing the stove top and the instant pot method.
Indo Chinese cuisine one of my personal favorites, is the adaptation of Chinese dishes to Indian tastes. The combination of Indian spices with Chinese cooking techniques makes up for some unique and flavorful dishes. One such recipe is this very popular Sweet Corn Vegetable soup.
Sweet Corn Soup is loaded with veggies like green beans, corn, cabbage and carrot. Black pepper and lemon juice or vinegar are added for flavor. We like to add some Chinese style chili sauce before serving, I just feel the chili sauce takes this soup to another level. So good….. you need to try it.
Making Sweet corn soup is easy process. You can make it stove top in under 30 minutes. But if you want to make it much faster and love hand free cooking try making it in the instant pot. Please scroll down to the recipe card to get the sweet corn soup made in the instant pot.
This Sweet Corn Vegetable Soup
- is a one pot dish
- so easy to make and vegan too
- loaded with veggies like beans, carrot, corn and cabbage
- perfect soup to enjoy on a cold winter day
Ingredients needed to make the Indo Chinese Sweet Corn Soup-
- Vegetables like Green beans, carrot, cabbage and sweet corn
- Sweet Corn, cream style
- Vegetable stock ( or water )
- Soy sauce
- Black or white pepper
- Corn Starch ( to thicken the soup)
- Lemon juice or Vinegar
- Sugar & Salt
How to make Sweet Corn Soup (Indo Chinese style)with step by step pics –
Step 1 – Prep all the veggies and heat a heavy bottomed vessel. Add a teaspoon of oil and add the green beans, carrot and cabbage. Saute the veggies in oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 2– Add the corn ( frozen kind or the fresh ones) and the cream style sweet corn to the sauteed veggies.
Step 3– Add the vegetable stock or water to the above ingredients. Give a mix and boil for 15 – 20 minutes.
Step 4 – After 15 minutes the veggies would have cooked completely.
Step 5 -In a small bowl, mix 2 tea spoons of the corn starch in quarter cup of water. Mix till no lumps and add this mixture to the boiling soup.
Step 6 – Boil the mixture for five minutes till the soup becomes slightly thick. Now add the salt, soy sauce, sugar, crushed white or black pepper and chili sauce (optional).
Step 7- Simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes and enjoy the soup with a squeeze of lemon juice ( or vinegar), few green onion and chili sauce.
Can I use water instead of vegetable stock?
Vegetable stock adds nore flavor to the soup, but water can be ceratianly used. Boil the soup for few more minutes to get the flavor.
What can I replace Corn Starch with?
Corn starch can be replaced with all purpose flour.
What can I replace Cream Style Sweet Corn with?
If you cannot find the cream style sweet corn, puree a cup of sweet corn (roughly) and use it in the recipe.
More Soup recipes –
Another favorite Indo Chinese recipes is this Indian Fried Rice
Sweet Corn Vegetable Soup
- Sweet corn, cream style- 14 oz (410 gms)
( or blend 1.5 cups of thawed corn with 1/2 cup water till pureed)
- Sweet corn kernels, boiled – 1 cup ( can be substituted by frozen corn )
- Carrot, finely chopped- 1/4th cup
- Cabbage, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Green beans, finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Corn flour/ corn starch- 2 tsps
- Vegetable stock/ water – 4 to 5 cups ( use 3 cups water if making in the instant pot)
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 to 2 tsps
- White/ black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- lemon juice or vinegar- 1 to 2 tsps
- Chopped Spring onions
- Red chilly sauce
Stove top method –
- In a heavy bottomed vessel heat the oil and add the green beans, carrot and beans. Saute the veggies for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the sweet corn, cream style corn and vegetable stock (or water). Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook till the veggies get soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add in the sugar, soy sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn flour with four tbsps of water. Add it to the soup stirring briskly till the soup thickens.
- Serve the Sweet Corn Vegetable soup garnished with green onions.
- You can also add in chilly sauce for some heat and lemon juice to cut through the sweetness of corn.
Sweet Corn Soup in the Instant Pot –
- Heat the instant pot on saute mode. Once hot add the oil, green beans, carrot and cabbage. Saute the veggies for two minutes.
- Now add the corn kernels, cream style sweet corn, 3 cups of water or vegetable broth, salt, sugar and pepper. Mix it well and press cancel.
- Close the instant pot lid and adjust the valve to the sealing. Press manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, wait at least ten minutes before opening the lid.
- Now to thicken the soup, mix the corn starch in quarter cup of water and add it to the soup.
- Press the saute mode and cook for couple of minutes till the soup thickens to your desired consistency.
- Add the spring onion, vinegar or lemon juice and chili sauce. Serve the soup warm with a crusty bread.