Red Chori Sundal is a healthy sundal recipe made with cooked red chori which are seasoned with a tempering of mustard seeds, green chili and coconut.
Red Chori beans are also called as Adzuki beans. Like most beans red chori has many nutritional benefits and care used in salads, curry or in stir fries.
Navratri is around the corner and sundal is most commonly made to offer the Goddess during this festive season.
Sundal is a traditional South Indian dish made with cooked lentils, green chili, coconut and a simple tempering.
While the chick pea, green peas, black eyed peas are common sudal dishes, today I am sharing sundal made with red chori.
Red Chori – you can find it in Indian store or online
Coconut – fresh coconut is preferred, but dry will work too
Green chili – small Indian style green chili are used
More Sundal Recipes –
Red Chori Sundal | Adzuki Beans Sundal
- pressure cooker or instant pot
- 1 cup red chori /adzuki beans
- 2 green chili, slit
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Soak the red chori in plenty of water for 4 hrs. After they are soaked, add half tsp of salt and pressure cook the red chori till soft but still holding its shape. Drain the water from the red chori. (do not discard the water, can be used in sambar)
- In a pan heat the oil, and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard starts popping, add chana dal, cumin seeds, dry red chilly ,curry leaves and the green chilly. Fry for few seconds, then add the hing.
- Add the boiled red chori, coriander powder, fresh coconut, salt to taste and lemon juice. Gently toss and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and add garnish with chopped coriander leaves