Soya chunks and Peas kurma is a tasty side dish made with soya chunks and green peas. Serve the kurma with roti, plain rice or jeera rice.
Soya chunks are derived from soy flour and have a high protein content to it. Its a good dish for all the vegetarians. The combination of soya and green peas cooked in onion tomato mixture with the wonderful Indian Spices compliment very well.
More curries –
Coconut Bell Pepper curry // mushroom peas curry // mixed vegetable coconut curry
Soya Chunks & Peas Kurma
Soya chunks and Peas kurma is a tasty side dish made with soya chunks and green peas. Serve the kurma with roti, plain rice or jeera rice.Print Pin Rate
- mini Soya chunks/meal maker- 1 cup
- green peas- 1 cup ( frozen or fresh par boiled)
- ¼ cup coconut milk or puree fresh coconut with water in a blender
- coriander powder- ½ tsp
- red chilly powder – ½ tsp
or to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- small piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- ¼ tsp sugar optional
- salt to taste
- lemon juice – 1 to 2 tsps
- few chopped coriander leaves
- 5 tsps oil ( 2 tsp to fry soya & 3 tsp for kurma)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium tomato chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 garlic pods, peeled
cooking soya/meal maker –
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Add quarter tea spoon of salt and add the soya chunks. Immerse the soya in the water and turn off the heat. Let the soya chunks soak in the hot water for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the soya chunks and rinse it well.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out of the soya chunks and set a side.
- In a pan add a tea spoon of oil, and add the soya chunks. Sprinkle some chilly powder and pan fry the soya wadi for couple of minutes. Set a side.
- In a blender add the ginger, garlic ,onion and tomato pieces. Grind the ingredients to smooth paste.
making the soya curry-
- Heat 3 tsps of oil in the pan and add the bay leaf,cloves and cinnamon. Fry for thirty seconds.
- Add the ground mixture and sprinkle some salt. Mix and cook for 10-12 minutes, mixing often.
- Cook till the rawness of the onion goes away, if not the kurma may turn slight bitter.
- After few minutes, the onion tomato mixture will become thick and oil starts separating.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and salt. Fry for 45 seconds. Add the peas, coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Adjust water depending on how thick you like the gravy.
- Add the pan fried soya, mix and simmer the gravy for ten minutes.
- Finally add some lemon juice, sugar (optional) and coriander leave and turn off the stove.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve the soya chunks kurma with rice or roti.
Tried this Recipe? Pin it for Later!Mention @MadhusEverydayIndian or tag #MadhusEverydayIndian!
Soya chunks go well with any combo.. yummy curry !
Looks super tasty and delicious !
Thanks for sharing this blog with us.Use Soya Flour | Soya DOC for good health.
Its very delicious looking.
looks so yummy and tempting madhu
Delicious kuruma dear…
Kurma looks so inviting…delicious!