Green Moong dal Masala Vada recipe – Masala Vada is a savory fried snack form south India. These little fritters are eaten as snack or a side dish served with coconut chutney. Enjot these green moong dal masala vada with a cup of coffee or tea.
Vada is traditionally made with different lentils (legumes). The most popular ones are the chanaa dal vada or medhu vada (made with urad dal).
The recipe I am sharing today is made with green moong dal. Green Moong dal is combined with green chilly, cumin, onion, coconut and coriander and deep fried to give you a perfect crisp savory fritter. It’s a very popular street food and is equally popular during festivals and gatherings.
Few Health benefits of Green Moong dal –
Boots immunity and protects against infection
Helps Fight Cancer
Helps reduce weight.
Few other Vada recipes & Bonda recipes in the blog –
Green Moong Dal Masala Vada Recipe:
- Green Moong dal- 1 cup
- Chana dal- one handful
- Yellow moong dal- one handful
- Green chilly- 3 to 5
- Ginger – ½ inch piece
- Small Red onion- 1 finely chopped
- Cumin seed- ¼ th tsp
- fresh coconut- 2 tbsps ( dry coconut should work too)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste and
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the green moong dal over night or at least for six hours.
- Soak the Chana dal and yellow moong dal for two to three hours.
- After the dals are soaked for few hours, drain all the dals and put them in a food processor. Make sure there is absolutely no water in the dal.
- Add the rest of the ingredients – cumin seeds, green chilly,ginger, coconut and coriander leaves.
- Pulse it to get a coarse texture.
- Remove and add the chopped onion and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet to fry the vadas.
- Take a golf ball size of the dal mixture and sligthly flatten them.
- Deep fry the vada’s about 4 to 5 per batch in medium heat.
- Fry till the masala vada is golden brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Enjoy the crispy warm vada with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
- Add the salt right before frying the vada’s, if not the the dal mixture will release water and the vada’s wll not be crispy.
How about some chai to go with the hot vada’s – Masala Chai
More Deep Fried Recipes you may like-