Last Updated on
Masala Chai is a flavored hot beverage made with tea, milk and aromatic spices. Sweet and piping hot tea, is a perfect way to kick start the day.
Masala is the spice blend used to make the tea and chai means tea in hindi. Hence the name masala chai. But here in U.S when we call it chai tea, we are literally saying tea tea….
Each family and each region in India have their own version of making the masala chai. There is no right or wrong way of making it, it’s just what your taste buds prefer.
What is Chai?
Chai is a hot beverage made essentially with these ingredients-
loose black tea
What are the spices used in making masala chai?
The traditional masala tea uses one or more of these ingredients.
Ginger ( fresh/powdered)
Cardamom Pods (the essential spice)
Black Pepper Corns
These are the common spices used in making chai, but not necessarily all are used to make the tea. My favorite combination is ginger, green cardamom and black peppercorns.
What type of tea is used in chai?
A good quality loose tea is used to make chai. If loose tea is not available use plain tea bags (not the flavored ones).
What kind of milk to use in chai?
The best choice will be to use the full fat milk.
What kind of sweetner to use in chai?
In India, white sugar is the one which is mostly used. But you can always add maple syrup or honey.
To make vegan chai, replace whole milk with oat, almond, cashew or soy milk
Few snacks which can be served with masala chai –
Instant rava vada, video
Masala Chai recipe card-
Masala Chai recipe
- 3 green cardamom pods elaichi
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 5 black peppercorns optional
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 to 3 tsps tea powder
- 2 to 3 tsp sugar or to taste
- In a sauce bring the water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling lightly crush the cardamom and muddle the ginger.
- Add tall the spices to the water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Now add the tea and boil it for few minutes depending on how dark you prefer your tea., atleast five minutes.
- Add sugar to taste, you may notice that masala chai takes more sugar.
- Strain the tea directly into the serving cup and enjoy.
Few more snacks which can served with chai