Ridge Gourd Peanut Curry is a easy and flavorful weeknight curry made with ridge gourd, garam masala and peanuts.
Enjoy this tasty curry with plain rice or whole wheat chapathi and tomato rasam.
In north India ridge gourd curry is called Turai ki sabji and in Andhra we call it Beerakaya kura. Traditionally ridge gourd curry uses onion, tomato and green chilly. Today I am using red chilly powder,garam masala and peanuts.
Simple basic ingredients which are easily available at home, goes into making this sabji. Its a perfect week night meal, and the curry comes togther in less than 20 minutes.
This recipe is one of my husbands favorite and I make it often. He loves any dish which has peanuts in them.
Unlike the traditional North Indian curry which have a onion- tomato /cashew base..this ridge gourd curry’s gravy comes from cooking down the ridge gourd with spices and water. Ground peanuts are added towards the end of the cooking to make the curry little thick.
If you are looking for a variation from the traditional curry recipes, do try this recipe. It will not disappoint you.
What is ridge gourd & its health benefits?
Ridge gourd medically referred as Luffa is a green leaf vegetable popular in Africa & Asian countries like India, china and Vietnam.
Ridge gourd has many health benefits – rich in dietary fiber, low in saturated fat and calories, aids in weight loss and more. Do include this vegetable in your and kids diet.
how to select ridge gourd or turai in grocery store?
Choose the ridge gourd which is deep green in color, fresh looking and slightly firm to touch. Avoid those with any injuries or more matured and bulky size.
how do we cut and peel ridge gourd?
Wash the ridge gourd properly by rubbing the skin. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the ridges completely. If you prefer, you can remove the skin. I like to keep the skin because of the nutritional benefits. I peel only the skin which is thick and hard.
how do we remove bitterness from turai or ridge gourd?
After you peel and cut the ridge gourd, taste a small piece to check if the vegetable is bitter. If its mildly bitter, it can be fixed.
Soak the cut turain in cold water for few minutes, rinse and cook it.
Add the right amount of salt, sugar and lemon juice to balance out the taste. You can also add some cashew powder to help with the bitterness.
Here is a recipe for chutney you can make with ridge gourd peel chutney
Ingredients for Ridge Gourd Peanut Curry:
- Ridge Gourd
- Garam Masala & Red Chilly Powder
- sugar & Lemon Juice
how to make ridge gourd peanut curry :
1) Pour oil in a medium sauce pan and place over medium heat.
2) When the oil is heated add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Add the cumin seeds and ginger. Sauté for few seconds.
3) Add the cubed ridge gourd pieces, turmeric and ¼ tsp of salt. Stir to combine.
4) Cook covered for three to four seven minutes, stirring every minute or so. Add a cup of water and cook for couple more minutes till the ridge gourd gets soft.
5) Add red chilly powder, garam masala, salt and two pinches of sugar/jaggery. Cook for a minute till all the spices are coated with ridge gourd.
6) Add the crushed peanuts and half cup of water. Cook covered for couple more minutes.
7) Check for seasoning and finally add some lemon juice and coriander leaves.
8) Enjoy the sabji with rice or chapathi.
Few more curry recipes from the blog-
Paneer Butter Masala recipe & Video
Drumstick potato curry
Tuari Ki Subji recipe chart-
Ridge Gourd Peanut Curry | Turai ki Subji
- 2 large ridge gourd ( turai), peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup crushed roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chilly powder or to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 3 tsps oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1.5 cups of water
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1) Pour oil in a medium sauce pan and place over medium heat.2) When the oil is heated add the mustard seeds and let mustard pop. Add the cumin seeds and ginger. Saute for few seconds.3) Add the cubed ridge gourd pieces, turmeric and ¼ tsp of salt. Stir to combine.4) Cook covered for three to four seven minutes, stirring every minute or so. Add a cup of water and cook for couple more minutes till the ridge gourd gets soft.5) Add red chilly powder, garam masala, salt and sugar/jaggery. Cook for a minute till all the spices are coated with ridge gourd.6) Add the crushed peanuts and half cup of water. Cook covered for couple more minutes.7) Check for seasoning and finally add some lemon juice and coriander leaves.8) Enjoy the sabji with rice or chapathi.
Few more recipes using Ridge Gourd