Flax Seed Ladoo– delicious and healthy ladoo made with flax seeds, nuts and jaggery.
Packed with fiber and omega 3 fats, flax seed ladoo is a perfect little treat to enjoy for your mid afternoon snack.
Please note- it is recommended to consume only a small amount of flax seeds everyday. People with certain health issues should avoid eating them. Please consult your Physician before consuming them.
The different names of Flax seeds – Alsi in hindi, Avise Ginja in telugu, Ali Vidai in tamil, Agase in kannada.
It is recommended to include this wonder seed in our diet in winter months to keep the body warm.
This Flax Seed Ladoo with Jaggery
- is refined sugar free
- are protein packed energy bites
- can be made vegan (by skipping the ghee)
- are packed with many health benefits
Flax seeds: you can either use flax seeds or ground flax seeds. If using flax seeds, roast and grind them.
Nuts: I have used almonds and peanuts.
Jaggery: used powdered Jaggery which is available in Indian stores.
Step by Step Photo Instructions-
Flax seeds – I used store bought ground flax seeds. If using flax seeds, dry roast them in the pan. Cool for few minutes and grind to a fine powder.
Almonds – dry roast the almonds. Cool and make fine powder. If you have store bought almond flour, you can just use that.
Peanuts- roast the peanuts, cool them and slightly remove the skin and make fine powder.
Add all these three ground ingredients back in to the mixer jar, and add the Jaggery powder and cardamom.
Pulse the mixture few times, taste for sweetness and add some ghee to the mixture.
Run the blender again for few seconds till the mixture comes together. Do not grind for too long if not too much oil will release form the nuts.
You will get about 11 small ladoo with these measurements. . I keep the ladoo size small, because it is recommended to consume only small amount of flax seeds in a day.
I bought it in Costco…. you can also get it online and regular grocery stores.
Cashew and sesame can be used.
Yes! skip the ghee. If you wish you can add one teaspoon of coconut oil.
More nutritious ladoo recipes-
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below.
- 1 cup powdered flax seed
- ½ cup almonds, roasted and powdered
- ½ cup peanuts, roasted and powdered
- ⅓ cup + 1 tsp powdered jaggery or add to taste
- 1.5 tsp ghee skip it to make it vegan
- 3 cardamom pods
- Dry roast the flax seeds, peanuts and almonds separately. Cool them and slightly remove the skin form the peanuts.
- Grind them separately and remove. Do not over grind the nuts, if not it will release oil.I used store bought powdered flax seeds and almond flour. So I had to just grind the peanuts.
Making the laddu
- Now add all the ground ingredients back in to the mixer jar, and add the Jaggery powder and cardamom.
- Pulse the mixture few times and taste for sweetness.
- Add some ghee and run the blender again for few seconds till the mixture comes together. Do not grind for too long if not oil will ooze out.
- You will get about 11 small ladoo with these measurements. I keep the ladoo size small, as it is recommended to consume only small amount of flax seeds in a day.
- Store the ladoo in air tight container. Stays fresh for 7 days. You can also store them in the refrigerator for longer shelf life.