Vermicelli Idli (semiya idli) – Instant idli made with vermicelli and rava. Kids love it for the addition of vermicelli. Makes for a easy breakfast and go to lunch recipe.
Sharing the recipe on how to make vermicelli idli in the instant pot and Idli steamer.
Vermicelli Idli is a nice change from the traditional Idli. It is favorite at home and kids love it for the addition of vermicelli noodles in them.
I like making it because it is an instant breakfast recipe. I generally make it on a weekend. Just like weekdays, weekend mornings can be are pretty busy with kids games. So to make it faster, the previous day I do the tempering with rava and vemicelli and store it in a jar. In the morning I just add the yogurt, coriander, carrot and water and steam them.
Vermicelli idli are soft and very tasty and I serve them with peanut tomato chutney.
These vermicelli idli are
- soft and delicious
- easy to make
- makes for a perfect breakfast, lunch or snack recipe
What are the other names of vermicelli?
Vemicelli is also referred as semiya, shavige, seviya, sevai in different parts of India.
Can I make the mix ahead?
Yes, we can make the tempering of semiya and rava upto 3-4 days in advance. More than that, you may want to store in the refrigerator. If storing in the refrigerator remove couple of hours before using them.
What can I serve the semiya idli with?
You can serve them with any coconut or peanut chutney. Even a ginger chutney would be a great combination.
Can I freeze the vermicelli Idli?
Yes, you can freeze the Idli. Let cool the idli and store them in a freezer bag or a container. When you are freezing, its important to freeze like an hour after you made it. Do not let the idli sit on the counter top all day.
To reheat you can steam them again ( for 7 minutes or so) or sprinkle some water on the idli and microwave.
why Idli is a great travel food?
Idli is a great travel food, because its mess free and easy to eat. Cool the idli and coat them with little ghee or oil. Pack them in air tight container.
Few chutney recipes that can be served with the idli-
Coconut chutney // Peanut chutney // Peanut tomato chutney // Coconut coriander chutney // Ginger carrot capsicum chutney // Tomato pickle
Have you tried my 3 street style dosa, check the full recipe and the video
Instant Vermicelli Idli Recipe –
Vermicelli Idli | Semiya Idli
- 1 cup rava ( suji or semolina)
- ½ cup vermicelli semiya
- 2 finely chopped green chili
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- ¾ cup plain yogurt curd
- about 8 cashew broken
- 2 tsps oil
- handful of coriander leaves chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated, USE THE LONG GRATE
- ½ tsp baking soda or ¾ tsp eno do not skip
- 1 cup water or as required
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cashew and fry for a minute.
- Add the ginger and green chilly and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add the rava, mix well and roast the rava for three to four minutes. Remove and set a side.
- Now add the vermicelli to the pan, and fry this till pale brown. Keep mixing to avoid burning.
- Set a side to cool completely.
- In a bowl add rava, vermicelli, coriander, grated carrot and salt. Mix well.
- Now add the yogurt and water. The batter will be semi thick.
- Set a side for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, mix the batter. You may want to add little more water if the batter is too thick. The batter should be of idli batter consistency.
- Add the baking soda and give a mix.
Steaming the Idli in Idli steamer or Pressure cooker-
- In a idli steamer or a pressure cooker add some water and bring it to a simmer.
- Grease the idli plates and pour the batter filling up to ¾ th of the moulds. Steam the idli for 12 minutes on high.
- If using pressure cooker to steam do not put the whistle.
- Let stand for ten minutes before removing.
- Serve the tasty idli with chutney of your choice.
Steaming the Idli in the Instant Pot –
- Turn on the instant pot on saute mode. Add about a 1.5 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Grease the idli plates and pour the batter filling up to ¾ th of the moulds.
- Cancel the saute mode and close the instant pot lid.
- Select the steam mode in the venting position. Externally keep a timer for 12 minutes, because the timer function does not work in the steam mode.
- As soon as the timer is done, do a quick release and remove the idli stand.
- Let the idli sit in the mould for 3-4 minutes before removing and serving.
Serve the idli with this peanut tomato chutney
An interesting twist for idly..looks so yummy..I have to try this