Last Updated on
Vermicelli Idli (semiya idli) – Instant idli made with vermicelli and rava. Kids love it for the addition of vermicelli. Makes for a easy breakfast and go to lunch recipe.
Vermicelli Idli is a nice change from the traditional Idli. It is favorite at home and kids love it for the addition of vermicelli noodles in them.
I like making it because it is an instant breakfast recipe. I generally make it on a weekend. Just like weekdays, weekend mornings can be are pretty busy with kids games. So to make it faster, the previous day I do the tempering with rava and vemicelli and store it in a jar. In the morning I just add the yogurt, coriander, carrot and water and steam them.
Vermicelli idli are soft and very tasty and I serve them with peanut tomato chutney.
These vermicelli idli are
- soft and delicious
- easy to make
- makes for a perfect breakfast, lunch or snack recipe
What are the other names of vermicelli?
Vemicelli is also referred as semiya, shavige, seviya, sevai in different parts of India.
Can I make the mix ahead?
Yes, we can make the tempering of semiya and rava upto 3-4 days in advance. More than that, you may want to store in the refrigerator. If storing in the refrigerator remove couple of hours before using them.
What can I serve the semiya idli with?
You can serve them with any coconut or peanut chutney. Even a ginger chutney would be a great combination.
Can I freeze the vermicelli Idli?
Yes you can freeze the Idli. Let cool the idli and store them in a freezer bag or a container. When you are freezing, its important to freeze like an hour after you made it. Do not let the idli sit on the counter top all day.
To reheat you can steam them again ( for 7 minutes or so) or sprinkle some water on the idli and microwave.
why Idli is a great travel food?
Idli is a great travel food, because its mess free and easy to eat. Cool the idli and coat them with little ghee or oil. Pack them in air tight container.
Few chutney recipes that can be served with the idli-
Instant Vermicelli Idli Recipe –
Vermicelli Idli | Semiya Idli
- 1 cup rava ( suji or semolina)
- 1/2 cup vermicelli semiya
- 2 finely chopped green chili
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt curd
- about 8 cashew broken
- 2 tsps oil
- handful of coarinder leaves chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated, USE THE LONG GRATE
- 2 pinches of baking soda or 3/4 tsp eno
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cashew and fry for a minute.
- Add the ginger and green chilly and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add the rava, mix well and roast the rava for three to four minutes. Remove and set a side.
- Now add the vermicelli to the pan, and fry this till pale brown. Keep mixing to avoid burning.
- Set a side to cool completely.
- In a nowl add rava, vermicelli, coriander, grated carrot and salt. Mix well.
- Now add the yogurt and water. I added 1/2 cup yogurt and about 1.5 cups of water. The batter will be semi thick.
- Now add the soda and mix well. Set a side for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix the batter. You may want to add little more water if the batter is too thick. This idli batter is slightly thick batter.
to steam the idli-
- In a idli steamer or a pressure cooker add some water and bring it to a simmer.
- Grease the idli stand and steam the idli for 13 minutes on high.
- If using pressure cooker to steam do not put the vessle.
- Let stand for ten minutes before removing.
- Serve the tasty idli with chutney of your choice.
Serve the idli with this peanut tomato chutney