Last Updated on
Vangi bath is a Karnataka special rice dish made with brinjal (egg plant). A special vangi bath masala powder is used to make the vangi bath recipe. Its a dry rice dish served with mosaru bajji or raita.
Vangi bath recipe ( or brinjal recipe) is a rice dish quite popular from the state of Karnataka. Vangi translates to brinjal/eggplant/baingan and bath translates to rice. Its a brinjal rice dish, made with a special masala powder. Vangi bath is a dry rice dish which can be served with raita (mosaru bajji in kannada) and peanuts.
The cuisine of Karnataka has great and unique dishes .Some of the popular dishes from Karnataka are Bisibele Bath, Saaru, Vangi Bath, Khara Bath, Akki Rotti, Ragi mudde and Uppittu. Though these dishes are made in all parts of India, I still feel these have very unique flavor and taste when eaten in Karnataka.
Among the dishes mentioned above, I make bisebele bath and vangi bath more often. The great thing about making the bisi bele bath and vangi bath is, the pre made spice powder. Having this masala powder handy makes these dishes very simple in making and most of all less time consuming. I generally get the home made masala powder made by my co-sister from India. The vangi bath powder can be easily found in any Indian grocery store.
There are few variations in making the vangi bath. I have added tomato in the recipe which I feel works great in the recipe. Don’t over cook the tomato, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. They need to just get soft, but not mushy. You can also add onion, peanuts and green peas in the recipe.
vangi bath is a good lunch box dish, since its mess free.
Few other rice recipes form the blog –
Vangi Bath Recipe Card –
Vangi Bath ( brinjal rice)
to make vangi bath masala powder-
- chana dal- 3 tsp
- urad dal- 3 tsp
- fenugreek (methi seeds)- about 4 seeds
- dry coconut- 3 tsps
- red chilies- 5 to 6
- jeera (cumin)- 1 tsp
- coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- cloves- 2
- 1 cardamom
- cinammon stick- a small piece
to cook rice-
- 1 cup raw rice
- 2 cups of water
to make vangi bath-
- cubed brinjal – about 200 gms
- Oil- 3 tbsps
- 2 to 3 tsps vangi bath powder or a store bought vangi bath masala powder
- few curry leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice or tamarind pulp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- chana dal – 1 tsp
- asafatedia – two pinches
- salt to taste
to make vangi bath masala powder-
- In a a pan heat 1 tea spoon of oil. Add all the masala powder ingredients and fry till light brown.
- Once the masala mixtture cools, transfer it to a mixer and make powder out of it.
- Use the vangi bath powder in the recipe. Rest of the masala can be store in a air tight container for next time
cooking the rice –
- Rinse the rice two times with water.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook the rice in rice cooker.
- After the rice is done, open the lid and let the rice cool slightly.
HOW TO MAKE VANGI BATH:
- Wash the brinjal and trim the edges and cut the brinjal 1/2 inch length wise.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsps of oil and add the mustard seeds. Let the mustard pop.
- Add the chana dal and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and few curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the cubed brinjal, turmeric powder and quarter tea spoon of salt. Mix well and close the lid.
- Cook till the brinjal is soft, stirring often.
- After the brinjal is cooked, add the tomato pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of vangi bath powder and little salt. Mix and cook for another five minutes.
- Now remove the brinjal mixture from the skillet and put it in a plate.
- Now in the same skillet add the cooked rice , a tablespoon of oil, 1 tsp of vangi bath powder, necessary salt and lemon juice. Gently mix all the ingredients, with out breaking the rice.
- Once the spices are well incorporated in the rice, add the brinjal mixture to the rice and mix it well. Taste and re season accordingly.
- Its ok to add the oil and vangi bath powder directly to the rice. The hot rice takes away the raw smell from the oil and also warms the spice powder.
- adding tomato to vangi bath is totally optional.
- add some peanuts for some crunch.
Sides to serve with Vangi bath