Last Updated on
lemon rice with onion and carrot recipe with video and detailed instructions– lemon rice is a quick and easy rice recipe popularly made in the southern states of India. Lemon rice is commonly made during festivals and while travelling. Its a fuss free lunch box recipe, which is liked by both kids and adults.
Cooked rice is mixed with a tempering made of mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chili and Peanuts. As the name suggest generous squeeze of lemon juice is added to the rice. In today’s recipe i have also added onion and carrot to the lemon rice. The addition of sauteed onion gives this dish a unique taste. The grated carrot which is slightly sauteed makes the dish vibrant and adds a hint of sweetness.
lemon rice is also called nimmakaya pulihora in Andhra and Telangana region, chitraanna in Karnataka. Another popular pulihora recipe from Andhra is the chintapandu pulihora ( Tamarind rice).
Roasted peanuts add a nice crunch to the soft rice. If you are allergic to peanuts or want to avoid it, green peas are good replacement. Cook the peas separately and add them in the tempering.
If using frozen peas, thaw the peas before use. Here is my recipe for lemon rice with peas.
Onions in this recipe can either be finely chopped or thinly sliced. Just make sure you sautee the onions till very soft, if not the raw flavor of onion will not taste good in the recipe.
Use the thicker side of the grater to grate the carrot. If not the carrot will become mushy in the tempering.
If you are interested, please scroll down for few more Indian rice recipe-
Kids and Adults Lunch Box Recipes-
how to cook white rice:
Take 1 cup of rice ( I used sona masoori rice) and rinse with water few times.
Add 2 cups of water and soak the rinsed rice for 15 minutes.
If using pressure cooker, add the soaked rice and water in the cooker and cook for two whistles in medium flame.
When the pressure releases, remove the rice and fluff it..
Add two cups of the cooked rice in the below recipe.
Lemon rice with onion and carrot video recipe-
Lemon rice with onion and carrot recipe chart-
- Cooked rice - 2 cups
- oil - 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- chana dal - 1 tsp
- peanuts - 2 tbsp
- red chilly- 1, slit
- green chilly- 2, slit
- turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- chopped onion- ⅓ cup
- few curry leaves
- grated carrot - ½ cup
- asafatedia- a pinch
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a pan add the oil. When the oil gets hot add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard pops, add the chana dal and saute till light brown.
- Add the peanuts and fry till crunchy.
- Add the dry red chili and green chili. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add curry leaves and asafatedia.
- Then add chopped Onion and cook till onions are completely soft.
- Add the grated carrot and saute for two minutes.
- Finally add he cooked rice, lemon juice, salt and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and check for seasoning.
- Serve as is or as apart of the meal.