Ash Gourd is an incredibly versatile vegetable which has so many health benefits to it. One way of enjoying this vegetable is by juicing it. Ash Gourd Juice is a great detoxifying juice that flushes out toxins from our body. It is also called as Safed Petha Juice in Hindi.
If you have been following my blog recently, you must have seen that I have recently shared Green Juice and Vegetable Juice recipes. Today I am excited to share this amazing Ash Gourd Juice recipe.
What is Ash Gourd?
Ash Gourd is a vine grown vegetable which is native to South East Asia. The many names of Ash Gourd are – Winter Melon, Wax Gourd, Chinese Water Melon, White Pumpkin and White Gourd.
Some of the Indian names of Ash Gourd are –
- Hindi – Petta
- Telugu – Boodida Gummadikaaya
- Kannada – Budekumbalakayi
- Tamil – Neer Poosanikai
- Marathi – Kohla
- Assamese – Komora
- Uttar Pradesh – Kumra
- Bengal – Chal Kumra
Few weeks back I came across this article from Sadhguru’s website about Ash Gourd benefits and was truly drawn to this miracle vegetable.
Why consume Ash Gourd Juice?
Ash Gourd Juice absorbs all the toxins and flushes out the waste from our body. This is all the waste which has been accumulating over the years of eating processed food, fried food, and many other eating habits. Whenever we drink ash gourd juice it takes out few toxins while leaving the body.
According to Sadhuguru, drinking Ash Gourd juice also cools our body, will have increased energy and enhances your intellectual capabilities.
What does Ash Gourd Juice taste like?
It doesn’t have any taste, very neutral like water. It is highly recommended to drink pure ash gourd juice for full benefit. But if you want to make it more appealing to your palate or giving it to kids, you can add some coconut water to make it slightly sweet. You can also add lemon juice, salt and pepper to make it savory, but if possible consume only pure ash gourd juice.
Picture of the Ash Gourd
How to make Ash Gourd Juice ( winter melon juice or petha juice)
Wash and cut the ash gourd. Remove the seeds and the skin and makes small pieces.
If you have a juicer, you can juice it in it. If not transfer the ash gourd to a blender.
Make a smooth puree, you don’t need to add any water as ash gourd is one of the most alkaline vegetable and has plenty of water in them.
To strain – Place a muslin cloth over your bowl and slowly pour the juice on it.
Gather the sides of the muslin cloth and start squeezing out the juice as much as possible
You can enjoy the juice in 3 ways –
1- Drink Pure Ash Gourd ( highly recommended)
2- Add coconut water to the Ash Gourd juice. You can adjust the amount of coconut water depending on how sweet you like it.
3- Add little salt, dash of pepper and lemon juice to ash gourd juice. Mix it well and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions-
I know it is one of those vegetables which is not available easily these days. Here in U.S many Indian grocery stores sell cut pieces. You can also ask request the grocery shop to get this vegetable, you can show them the picture. Many times they don’t have it because no one is asking for it.
If you get a whole ash gourd, I heard that it can be stored for many weeks. If you have a piece of ash gourd, it can be stored in the refrigerator for few days.
No, Ash Gourd Juice just like any other juice needs to be consumed immediately. Another important thing to keep in mind while drinking this juice is don’t gobble at one stretch, takes sips of it.
Few Smoothie Recipes –
If you tried this Ash Gourd Juice, do share your feedback in the comment section below. For more recipes, follow me on Facebook and Instagram.
Ash Gourd Juice Recipe (Winter Melon Juice)
- 3 cups Ash Gourd, peeled, seeds removed and cubed
To make it Sweet
- ½ cup coconut water
To make it Savory
- pinch black pepper
- two pinches salt
- 1- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash and cut the ash gourd. Remove the seeds and the skin and makes small pieces.
- If you have a juicer, you can juice it in it. If not transfer the ash gourd to a blender.
- Make a smooth puree, you don’t need to add any water as ash gourd is one of the most alkaline vegetable and has plenty of water in them.
- To strain – Place a muslin cloth over your bowl and slowly pour the juice on it.
- Gather the sides of the muslin cloth and start squeezing out the juice as much as possible.
- You will be left with pure ash gourd juice. It is highly recommended to consume the ash gourd juice with out adding any other ingredients.
With coconut water –
- But if you are giving it to kids or let your palate get used to it, you can add equal amount of coconut water to the ash gourd juice and drink it.
To make it savory –
- To the ash gourd juice add little salt, black pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- If possible consume only pure ash gourd juice with out adding any other ingredients.
Leave a Reply