Recently my sister sent me the recipe for stuffed brinjal which she tried and said was pretty good. Stuffed brinjal needs more attention while cooking- we need to make sure the brinjal is cooked evenely, doesn’t get burned and the filling should be intact . Also stuffed brinjal gobbles up quite a bit of oil. Akka knows how I feel about the stuffed brinjal recipe, so she told me to stir fry the brinjal and add the masala at the end. That’s exactly what I did.
The recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes, Goes well with roti and rice.
Check out my Dry Curry’s here
Brinjal Masala | Vankaya Masala | Egg plant Dry Curry Recipe:
- Long Brinajl/ Vankaya/ Baingan/ Egg plant – 3 ( cut into bite size pieces)
- Dry red chilly – 5 or to taste
- Corainder seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Roasted Chana dal ( Chutney pappu)- 1/4 th cup
- Dry/ fresh coconut – 2 tbsps
- Butter – 1 to 2 tsps.
- Handful of coriander leaves ( don’t skip)
- Curry leaves – 10
- Msutard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 14th tsp
- Asafatedia- 2 pinches
- Oil as needed
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind paste to taste
- In a pan dry roast the dry red chilly’s, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When it cools, add the roasted ingredients and the roasted chanan dal in a mixer and make a powder.
- In a big flat non stick skillet heat oil and add the mustrd seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle add the curry leaves and asafatedia. For for few seconds.
- Add the chopped brnjal, turmeric, and some salt. Sprinkle some water, mix well and close the lid. Cook on medium flame till almost done.
- Add in the masala powder, tamarind paste and necessary salt. Mix gently.Continue cookinf for few more minutes.
- Finally add the coconut, butter and freshly chopped coriander leaves. Check for seasoning. If you feel the curry is not spicy enough add some red chilly powder.